Thread: Must EVERYTHING be trial and error!

Angry Must EVERYTHING be trial and error!

As I mentioned in a couple of other posts, a friend and I are working on a poker table. Today I cut out our third hardboard template for the placesettings. The first was too thin and the second was thick enough but I we didn't leave enough extra stock to clamp it down and still have clearance for the router. GRRRRRRR! I'll post some pics if we ever get anything made out of actual oak!

Must EVERYTHING be trial and error!

Fraid so. It's called experience and now you've got it. It's not likely to be a mistake you'll ever repeat and you're now required to weigh in and help out future posters contemplating similar work with your expertise.
    Use the fence Luke

Hang in there Jason, You will conquer! And then you are on the Poker Channel!
    Jerry

Jason, I am sure it is going to be a beauty when it is done!! Can't wait to see it.

Corey

Knowledge comes from only two sources, wisdom and experience. And wisdom is only someone else's experience!

Been there, done that, and I'll do it again too. Don't beat yourself up too bad . Most important thing is to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Clark
    And then you are on the Poker Channel!
    I don't even PLAY poker!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-31-2005 at 5:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Leary
    Knowledge comes from only two sources, wisdom and experience. And wisdom is only someone else's experience!
    Joseph, never heard that expression before, but I love it! Mind if I borrow (steal) it? BTW, Welcome to one of the nicest spots on the Web! Enjoy your stay and stop often! (BTW, we LOVE pics! Just about anything...Tools, projects, jigs, cats, cars, etc...... )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Yeah, it seems like it! I like the quote that experience is something you gain one second after you needed it.

Anyway, last night I assembled part of the dresser I am working on. Figured out that I need to remake a drawer front because it looks like crap. Thought it would look great! Aww well!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jason,
    Post a pic or two and maybe I can help. I have been building poker tables for a couple of years and can understand the " GRRRRRRRRR part." of your post. Maybe my (many) mistakes will help you.
    "Cut it three times and it's still too short"
    Keith