Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paw Paw grove

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Jim, you missed your Monty Python opportunity! Your answer should have been:

"Red...No! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckkkkkkk......... .."
    Heh, I and I was thinking that the answer to how they got there in the first place was a migrating swallow, probably African.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    if I am not mistaken , they sell a version of blackberry that do not have any thorns , if you got enough land then why not plant a various of fruit berries,blackberry, raspberry, dewberry, gooseberry ,dewberry grow close to the ground
    I was told they are the thorn less variety. I have about 3/4 acre back yard that is mostly grass (weeds) and pine trees. I have decided this year to start growing something useful to myself and the local critters. I want to eventually make a sort of habitat with all sorts of interesting greenery, water feature, etc. I am tired of mowing weeds.
    Unfortunately I must have a shrubbery before I may proceed!

Yeah, if you wanted to cross the bridge, you had to answer these questions three: What is your name? What is your quest? And the third one is the one that would throw everyone but the first guy off. The first knight simple answered what his favorite color was, and was allowed to pass. The second knight, when asked his favorite color, chose one color, then switched his answer because he wasn't sure if he should answer with his actual favorite or what the other knight said. Then when King Arthur was asked the third question, it was not "What is your favorite color?", it was, "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" To which the King answered, "What do you mean? An African or European swallow?" To which the bridge keeper replied, "Well, I don't knoooooooooowwwww...." as he was tossed into the depths of dispare. Which, kinda brought the whole movie around since the opening act discussed the curiousities of how a coconut could have been brought to a temperate zone. One castle guard suggested that it could have been carried by a swallow. The other guard guard curiously asked, "What by grabbing it by the husk?" and adding that there is no way a 6 oz bird could carry a 1 lb coconut. And one of the nutcase guards suggested that it could have been carried by two swallows, joined by a string, under the guided dorsel feathers. AND FINALLY, the one says that Euopean swallows are much too small, but may African swallows could have pulled it off...

Okay, that was a little rusty, but I haven't seen the movie in about 10 years. That being said, I don't want to know how many times I've watched it...at least 30-40...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    We had a paw paw tree that grew right next to the house when I was a kid. My dad said he had eaten one right by there and had spit out the seed. That tree produced lots and lots of paw paws. We ate some of them, but most just fell to the ground and made a big mess.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    Heh, I and I was thinking that the answer to how they got there in the first place was a migrating swallow, probably African.

daniel
    because the swallow are black do not means that he migrating from Africa, the yellow canary are from Africa

But after you get that shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest WITH.....a herring!!!!!

BTW, Jim. I'm all for what you are planning, but know that it will be a haven for ALL sorts of creatures...mice, snakes, spiders, ants...things you probably don't want in your house. Not saying don't do it, just be prepared.
    I drink, therefore I am.

But after you get that shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest WITH.....a herring!!!!!

BTW, Jim. I'm all for what you are planning, but know that it will be a haven for ALL sorts of creatures...mice, snakes, spiders, ants...things you probably don't want in your house. Not saying don't do it, just be prepared.
    Would that be salted, pickled or smoked Herring? Atlantic or Red?
    I haven't considered the unwanted critters probably because there currently aren't any to speak of. Once a summer I do see a black snake passing through. Have also seen an owl and eagle in the area which may account for the absence of field mice and other such things. I am still early in the planning stage researching native plants so hopefully I can accomplish something worth while without going overboard. I do want to get a few Paw Paw trees though and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    Would that be salted, pickled or smoked Herring? Atlantic or Red?
    I haven't considered the unwanted critters probably because there currently aren't any to speak of. Once a summer I do see a black snake passing through. Have also seen an owl and eagle in the area which may account for the absence of field mice and other such things. I am still early in the planning stage researching native plants so hopefully I can accomplish something worth while without going overboard. I do want to get a few Paw Paw trees though and go from there.
    one important question, will the neighhood children be picking your paw paw when they ripen ?

Isn't that what they made slingshots for...? Snap those little buggers in the butt when their fingers do the walkin'?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Isn't that what they made slingshots for...? Snap those little buggers in the butt when their fingers do the walkin'?
    Mike, what if the little buggers turn around and sit down , the result could be a shot in the FACE

I would say that would be bad timing... Personally, I would have gotten a well deserved butt whoopin' for taking something that wasn't mine. But parents don't seem to do a great job of conveying that sort of thing anymore... Consequences for actions, I don't believe kids understand that these days...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    because the swallow are black do not means that he migrating from Africa, the yellow canary are from Africa
    I simply meant to differentiate from the European swallow, the latter not as well known as being able to carry coconuts.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    I simply meant to differentiate from the European swallow, the latter not as well known as being able to carry coconuts.

daniel
    No problem, if the swallow got a dose of coco, he could carry a coconut with each foot

Bill, we have a Paw Paw, WV about an hour from me...
    That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. The neighbor across the street had a farm in PAW PAW till they retired, sold the farm and moved here.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

Save a Paw Paw fruit or two... I'm in need of some small replacement trees in the backyard after that storm two years ago. The Dogwood in the corner looks positively pathetic.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5