Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paw Paw grove

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    one important question, will the neighborhood children be picking your paw paw when they ripen ?
    Not likely as all the neighborhood children have all grown. My neighborhood is all empty nesters.

Will do, Dan.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Kevin, I've got friends with a cabin in Paw Paw, WV. We used to go there for long weekends and "get away". Love that place. Haven't been there in 15 years, at least. Might be going this year though...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Kevin, I've got friends with a cabin in Paw Paw, WV. We used to go there for long weekends and "get away". Love that place. Haven't been there in 15 years, at least. Might be going this year though...

That cabin isn't at the nudist colony up there is it?

And here I've been going to therapy for all these years... And you just solved it all! Maybe I should send you a big check for saving me all that money trying to figure things out with my shrink.

Didn't realize there was a nudist colony in Paw Paw. Knowing what I do about the area, not really sure I'd want to go...
    I drink, therefore I am.

And here I've been going to therapy for all these years... And you just solved it all! Maybe I should send you a big check for saving me all that money trying to figure things out with my shrink.

Didn't realize there was a nudist colony in Paw Paw. Knowing what I do about the area, not really sure I'd want to go...
    do any body in the nudist colony pack a concealed weapon ?

UPDATE:

The Paw Paw fruit is ripening!!!! Two fell to the ground this morning. I've been walking past them everyday (twice a day) on my walks with the dogs. Every once in a while, I give 'em a little squeeze to see how they're doing. But today was the big day! I picked 'em up and brought them inside. Cut off the skin and dug in! Hmmm, interesting. I would say it is like a cross between a mango and a banana. Consistency of a ripe banana, taste is kinda mangoy but not as...sweet. Still, pretty cool. The seeds are PLENTIFUL in these fruit. They are large black seeds that look like lima beans. You just have to "filter" through those. Looking forward to the rest of the "crop". I'd say I've easily got another 30+ fruit on the trees.
    I drink, therefore I am.

UPDATE:

The Paw Paw fruit is ripening!!!! Two fell to the ground this morning. I've been walking past them everyday (twice a day) on my walks with the dogs. Every once in a while, I give 'em a little squeeze to see how they're doing. But today was the big day! I picked 'em up and brought them inside. Cut off the skin and dug in! Hmmm, interesting. I would say it is like a cross between a mango and a banana. Consistency of a ripe banana, taste is kinda mangoy but not as...sweet. Still, pretty cool. The seeds are PLENTIFUL in these fruit. They are large black seeds that look like lima beans. You just have to "filter" through those. Looking forward to the rest of the "crop". I'd say I've easily got another 30+ fruit on the trees.
    GOOD thing that I live so for away or the count would be 000
    and they do not taste like sweet peppers but they will fool a banana eater

Nice - My favorite when I had access to good fresh mangos was mango Margaritas; I wonder how these do for that

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh. Might have to try that. Of course, I'd have to sift through all the seeds...
    I drink, therefore I am.

For the mangos we'd freeze them and then blend with some lime / lemon juice and the appropriate additions
    I'm wondering if you could just press these through a sieve and then freeze in cubes for something similar (I say having never actually seen a paw paw in real life )

Ryan, the fruit is a little smaller than a kiwi. The seeds are about 50% the size (but almost the exact shape) of lima beans. Each one contains about 8 seeds. And the "meat" sticks to the seeds... Doesn't sound like it'd be easy. But then again, the meat sticks to mango pits, too... Eating Paw Paw fruit (if that's what you call them) is...involved and active. Not a passive munching, like a banana.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Yeah mangos only have one seed though and there is a trick where you can cut up alongside the pit to remove it from each half pretty easily. When I had access to a tree two of us could pretty easily process a couple hundred pounds in a day or so.

These look somewhat harder/slower.. Here is a link to someone who did something roughly akin to what I was thinking of (googled "deseeding pawpaws") http://foodunderfoot.com/paw-paw-slushie Might not be worth doing in bulk but I'd be tempted to make one .. you know for science

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Yeah mangos only have one seed though and there is a trick where you can cut up alongside the pit to remove it from each half pretty easily. When I had access to a tree two of us could pretty easily process a couple hundred pounds in a day or so.

These look somewhat harder/slower.. Here is a link to someone who did something roughly akin to what I was thinking of (googled "deseeding pawpaws") http://foodunderfoot.com/paw-paw-slushie Might not be worth doing in bulk but I'd be tempted to make one .. you know for science
    do people green pawpaw or wait until it turn mushy[like a ripe bananas, you can spit the seeds out unless you are a wimp or in a restaurant

Ryan, you may be on to something there! I might try that if I get a bunch ready at the same time. Had two more fall off the tree today! I might have them for dessert. The other two didn't disagree with me.

Ray, I don't know. I'm waiting for them to fall from the tree so I know they are ripe. I don't want a green one!
    I drink, therefore I am.