Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Paw Paw grove

I will agree that ripe paw-paws do not keep very long. I used to get a few every year from the woods. I actually liked the flavor, but the texture takes some getting used to. I've never liked particularly ripe bananas, so that's probably the problem there. I had never eaten a mango until well after I had been eating paw-paws, so I'm going to have to try to go out hunting for paw-paws again. They don't last long in the woods, that's for sure. The critters get to them almost as soon as they fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Faucett View Post
    I will agree that ripe paw-paws do not keep very long. I used to get a few every year from the woods. I actually liked the flavor, but the texture takes some getting used to. I've never liked particularly ripe bananas, so that's probably the problem there. I had never eaten a mango until well after I had been eating paw-paws, so I'm going to have to try to go out hunting for paw-paws again. They don't last long in the woods, that's for sure. The critters get to them almost as soon as they fall.
    are you sure that they fall to the ground ?

Homer, I walked by my "grove" every morning and every evening while walking my dogs. So, I was sure to get them before there was too much damage to them. Though, occasionally, slugs and ants were on them quite quickly!

I would say I got about 50 paw paws this go around...
    I drink, therefore I am.

pawpaw got a cousin in the tropical, papaya

I planted three on my seven acre mini-farm a couple of years ago. Still nurturing them, so I don't when they'll bear. But I do remember picking them up down in S. Ga as a young boy, and eating them on the spot. Never tried to make pudding, as Mama did all the cooking in the house. But now I am an older man, and I do all the cooking for my wife, me, and several times a week, all the kids and grandchildren. Can't wait for them to try paw paws. My other passions are woodworking and gardening, so I was pleasantly surprised to read all the posts in this thread. I am also very fond of ripe persimmons!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nease View Post
    I planted three on my seven acre mini-farm a couple of years ago. Still nurturing them, so I don't when they'll bear. But I do remember picking them up down in S. Ga as a young boy, and eating them on the spot. Never tried to make pudding, as Mama did all the cooking in the house. But now I am an older man, and I do all the cooking for my wife, me, and several times a week, all the kids and grandchildren. Can't wait for them to try paw paws. My other passions are woodworking and gardening, so I was pleasantly surprised to read all the posts in this thread. I am also very fond of ripe persimmons!
    are you talking about the persimmons that you buy in the store or the wild ones ?

Wild ones. I don't believe I have noticed any in the stores around here.
    Bees, Boards, Berries, Birds, Bamboo, and Baking - why do all my hobbies start with a "B"?!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nease View Post
    Wild ones. I don't believe I have noticed any in the stores around here.
    I bought persimmons in one store,the wild ones taste a good deal better

Mike, any seeds left?? stick some in an envelope and mail them to me. I'll try to start some from seed.
    Thanks.....Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Awe, shucks, Jim. You're about two weeks too late. I most certainly would have sent them to you... But they are all gone by now. If you (or anyone else) reminds me next year, I'd be happy to send you some!
    I drink, therefore I am.