Thread: Opinions needed for table base design....

Opinions needed for table base design....

I am finalizing the design of a trestle table and I am not sure if I need additional support for the legs of the table. I have two different ideas for the leg assemblies as shown in the attached picture. The main leg structure is 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" drawbored mortise and through tenon construction. The table top is 42 x 84 x 1 1/2 thick. My question is.....Would I need to add the cross bracing to the leg assembly, or not?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Svoma; 05-03-2012 at 1:23 PM.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Trestle tables have been made without those angled supports for centuries. I doubt you'd need to add them to your table.

FWIW, I realize you have the camera set to Parallel Projection but it makes your table look like the near upright is shorter than the one at the opposite end of the table.

I think you would only need the additional support if you are going to put a Volkswagen on top of the table. Granted, some of our family Thanksgiving dinners, the table wobbled a little. But that's only once a year.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Mike, In my humble opinion, the cross bracing, though not truly needed, could be really nice as an added visual detail and useful too, as a support to resist racking at Thanksgiving, but I would suggest that you reduce the scantlings. No need to be sized as big as the main leg assembly. Keep an eye on the grain direction though, otherwise it will look and be just decorative. Also, you can skip the middle vertical brace altogether.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'd be hard pressed to imagine trestle tables that were put under more stress than the huge tables the Shakers built for their dining halls. Most of them did not have the extensive bracing you're considering although some show signs of braces being added after initial construction.

I don't think you need the additional braces. From a design perspective I think all that bracing would detract from the characteristic grace of the trestle table form. If you're really concerned about supporting the table top you could consider running a couple of stretchers across the space between the legs and just under the top where they won't show.

Ken