Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone used General Fishes Enduro Var on kitchen cabs?

I have used it, I like it and will use it again and again. Easy to spray, durable finish. Some yellowing, not not a really really lot of yellowing.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Sheldon....since we have already hijacked the thread.....

I see a lot of recommendations for Target coatings which seem interesting yet it seems only available direct from the manufacturer. General Finishes are readily available and the B.S. on their labels aside they seem to perform as advertised. I see Crystalac recommended a lot on another forum but they are only available through McFeely's and Grainger, priced at a premium and appear to be a re-branded product.

What readily available products would you recommend for waterborne finishes? Something I could get at a woodworking, BORG or paint store?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dragin View Post
    Sheldon....since we have already hijacked the thread.....

I see a lot of recommendations for Target coatings which seem interesting yet it seems only available direct from the manufacturer. General Finishes are readily available and the B.S. on their labels aside they seem to perform as advertised. I see Crystalac recommended a lot on another forum but they are only available through McFeely's and Grainger, priced at a premium and appear to be a re-branded product.

What readily available products would you recommend for waterborne finishes? Something I could get at a woodworking, BORG or paint store?
    Boy Richard, to be honest with you i don't really keep up with what is best, crystal and others that i see on woodweb or wood-talk etc. are talked about alot, but i have not run any comparisons as to which is better than which. As to availability, most of the ones used in factories are either custom jobs or by a noteworthy Mfg. with an off the shelf product like Renner. Finding such in your local stores would be difficult at best and not at all most likely. As someone i highly admire in the business i would suggest you try to contact Renner and see who their distributors are here in your area. I would think Charles who is big on water-base would possibly know of others that either through use or recommendation by trusted friends in the business would be helpful also. Target and others i have seen and read both good and bad about so i will not suggest there products one way or the other. Another thing to keep in mind is that the coating alone is no more important than the other items that make up a first class "finishing system" meaning sealers/dyes/pigments/ flatting agents/fish-eye preventers/and all else must work equally as good in order to obtain first class results.

As to "re-branding" i have not researched their company to be able to respond to such, i will however tell you that virtually no coatings company normally deals in making their own polymers, those are purchased from larger manufacturers of both monomers and polymers, same with any others like the alkyds or acrylics etc. The finished products are then solved by the coatings producers and the other additives and co-solvents then blended together after any other preliminary procedures take place. The most help a chemist gets is normally starting formulas to go by and change as needed.

Sorry Conrad, but i was asked ok, lol.
    Last edited by sheldon pettit; 05-10-2012 at 6:58 PM.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...