Thread: Child's desk and chair(s)

Child's desk and chair(s)

I still have to sand and apply the finish (torn beween clear poly and clear shelac ... opinions welcome). This was done for my boss' niece and nephew, it's being shiped to Georgia on Sat....

I started it on Sunday afternoon and have been slowly working on it in the mornings this week. It's red oak, the top is hardboard primed and painted with the krylon chalk board paint....

Design is a copy my boss found on a website, I sketched it up and ran with it...

Last edited by Jim Hinze; 04-07-2005 at 8:02 AM.

If it's going away Saturday...shellac is a better bet since it cures a lot faster than varnish! Sprayed water bourne acrylic is also a quick finish option.

Nice job on these pieces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Those look great! I am sure the children will use the desk and chair very often.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Beautiful! I sent a link to this thread off to my wife to take a look. It's very nice.

You might be interested in this article on finishing. I've tried this technique and resulted in an amazing finish.

http://www.io.com/~richardr/writing/APerfectFinish/
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

Thanks for the complements and Advice...

Paul, awesome article. I'm going to order some of their product and give it a try... their poly sounds very interesting.

"Finished" pictures...

5 coats of clear shellac + some paste wax...

Jim,

Beauty work. One thing I might suggest is putting a side stop on that lid. Open all the way like that the screws become the weak point and kids being kids will apply downward pressure and they'll have enough leverage to pop those screws right out. They make child safety hinges that can be applied here. Just a thought. overall I love it ! Good work !