Thread: finishing question

finishing question

Hello everyone. I have a client that has requested a small telephone cabinet for their kitchen. They would like the finish to match the color of their Cumaru hard wood floor. I have exhausted every possible option to find some Cumaru lumber with no success. They have decided to use Genuine Mahogany due to the simularity of the grain texture. The problem is that it is significantly lighter then the Cumaru. It will be finished with a satin lacquer. I have managed to woodwork for this long with only a minimal amount of staining required. My question is... is there an easy wipe on stain that will be dark enough. I would say the floor is as dark as Peruvian Walnut but with a reddish tint. I have tried the darkest Minwax stain I could find and it is not even close. I am hoping to stay away from tinted lacquers or spray on stains as i am not familiar with them and do not have the equipment to do it right. I am not very experienced with stains and any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Robby,
    If the grain is simular you might consider an analine or water based dye. If you can get a good color picture of the floor you might get some advise fro woodcraft or a simular store.

Good Luck
    Roger

Get yourself hooked up with a professional finisher's supply business where you live. Minwax has too high an oil content, too large a pigment, has a tendency to look muddy and cloudy, and in my book, is a good finish to start with when learning the art of finishing, but is not as professional grade as others on the market that are not as widely advertised.

Search this forum for other posts I've made about staining and Minwax.

Now, Mahogany, over a realively short time frame (2-3 months), when finished with boiled linseed oil and lacquer, changes color (darkens) quite dramatically. Do a sample now, and before you know it, you'll have something to compare.