Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Platter

Maple Platter

Here is another platter I have been working on for a while. Lots of burning but a labor of love. This barn was built by my great grandfather sometime around 1890. The land has been handed down to my uncle who passed away and now the kids are selling it. I did get some lumber from it and a handful of square nails. I went down and got some pictures of it and the home place before it sold. Anyway the platter is maple andis 15" across. It is finished with several coats of poly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-07-2012 at 8:56 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie - some of your best pyro work to date!!!! Excellent, and a great story, too.

Very nice... the pyro work really makes it special, how long does it take you to burn a piece like that?

Blog Entries
    Bernie nice platter it will make a really nice keepsake

5. Just really fine work Bernie...........your pyro skills are really shining and of course that is a very nice platter you have turned. The hits just keep on coming with you lately..........of course they always do!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great job Bernie. Growing up on a farm and spending a lot of time in the barn caring for livestock, putting up hay etc I can relate to the picture. Quite the keepsake as many of these types of barns are falling into disrepair and many are being torn down. Farmers just don't use them any more and they are expensive to maintain. Great work and story.

Thanks to all. I was completely taken of guard when I posted on facebook in my album. My aunt called and wants to buy it at whatever the price. She was my uncles second marriage of 32 yrs. She has always had a special place in my heart and she is quite a artist herself with her paintings which she sells in several galleries in Nebraska and Kansas. So we just might make a trade. She has a couple I have had my eye on for some time now.

Paul it took me about 4 to 5 hrs to burn this. I take my time and don't rush things.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, I don't post much here because everyone is way over my level and i just look and learn, but I want to comment here. That is just flat awesome to me. I love old barns and use to go around photographing them. That is a great platter and has a lot of meaning. Nice work. Makes me want to get out my wood burning gear my wife bought me several year ago and it has very little use. Again great piece.
    "We the People ........"

Bernie, this is my favorite piece of your work so far. I love old barns and this one reminds me of Eric Sloane's series of books. Thanks for posting.

Thanks again. Paul I think you should get out your burning machine. I love old barns to and Hayes spent a lot of time in this one. Almost got a whipping from grandpa because I had climbed to the peak inside.
    Bernie

Another beauty Bernie! and a nice story to go along with it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

you have been making some nice platters lately..thanks for sharing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great job on the platter and artwork. Sure to be a family heirloom.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Thanks again. Just a side note I called my aunt last night and we have a deal. We have swapped the platter for two of her pictures and $50. I am a happy camper and she is excited to add it to her collection. So will do another platter with the barn burned on it for myself.
    Bernie

Great way to keep the memory going Bernie...platter ain't to bad either!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots