Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple new tools - and, a rare glimpse!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Couple new tools - and, a rare glimpse!

After getting some input from fellow creekers, I purchased a Packard 1.25" German (Continental) gouge, and also a Benjamin Best 2" spindle roughing gouge. Just thought I would show a couple pics.

1.jpg

My prior roughing has been done with my original Harbor Freight SRG, and while it works fine, one can not aggressively remove material with it. There just is not enough mass and width to permit that on a large squared off block. I really enjoyed roughing with this inexpensive big chunk of metal!! Much more comfortable, and much quicker. A caveat - it takes off wood in a hurry! I will need to get used to checking the status a little more often - nearly removed too much!

The German gouge was very pleasant to use. I didn't change the 45* factory grind, but touched up the edge. It leaves a very smooth surface, and I felt it was easy to control. One can get a nice, sweeping curve shaping an end grain turning. However, it did not want to behave as well coming across the top (end grain) and felt like one could get a catch if not careful in that presentation. I will experiment with the grind some and perhaps see how it does with a little different profile on the nose. I think this is going to be a nice add on to the tool rack! After using this one for awhile, if it continues to perform as I think it will, I suspect I might end up with a 3/4".
    2.jpg 3.jpg

And, now for that rare glimpse! For those of you that have visited my shop, or even noticed in various pics I have posted, this is an extremely rare sight - actual "stuff" on the ways of the lathe, and even on the floor!!

4.jpg
    And, here is the real shame of it all - except for blowing the shavings off the lathe, I left this mess when I came in a few moments ago.

I am sure I will regret revealing this, but sometimes confession is good for the soul. The sun shall not set tomorrow on this mess!!

Who are you and where is John Keeton????? Thanks for the review, very interesting the differences in shape.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Those weren't green shavings were they?

What mess are you talking about? Looks clean to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    What mess are you talking about? Looks clean to me.
    that what i was thinking ..lol

John, I think all these folks are just jealous of your clean (spotless) shop. I also have the same problem. It's been said my shop looks clean enough to operate in . Maybe we'll have to visit each other sometime.

John Smith

"Maybe we'll have to visit each other sometime."

Now there's a great idea. All of the OCD clean freaks could get together and form a group. Maybe even have their own special forum category. There could be meetings with discussion sessions about things like "Why they are so jealous of us." Or "How can they live like that?" Or "How can we possibly coexist with them???" You could go out at night and knock on doors and ask people if they have found cleanliness yet. If they would like to hear the word about how to bring order into their pathetic lives. And you could inspect their shops and tell them how they would see the light if only they would get more lights. How they live in darkness only because they know, deep in their hearts, how grim things would look if they could see more clearly the true nature of the path they have chosen.

I'm liking this idea a lot...
    David DeCristoforo

With a mess like that Ms K would be so embarassed. LOL HA HA!!

Oh merciful Heaven...someone clean that shop!!! What did you think of the BB?...the shank diameter always worried me, but the Packard seem stout.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

John,

That is pretty much the same grind as I put on my forged pattern gouge. Same thumbnail, and same angle, although I sweep mine when grinding, and it looks like this one may be just rolled.

When coming around the end of a piece, there is a tendency to only raise the handle, and not sweep the handle. This will cause the cut to move up on the nose and the bevel to lose contact. If the handle is swept and raised (move the tool rest first), the gouge cuts sweet on larger diameter items. I find a 1/2" is easier to control on 3" or so and smaller when making that cut.

You are going to like that gouge, and I'm betting get a 3/4" or 1".

Didn't really see any mess in the photo. John, I ground 1" BB SRG sort of like the Continental gouge and I think it works similiar on outside of hollow forms in spindle mode. But your Hamlet (Packard) would be viewed by others as safer.

12. Somebody call the police..........[shop police, that is..... ]
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think you have attain a new level in "lathe art". I love the flowing curves and well distributed subject matter.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Oh I'm shock!!!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I hope to post a little more on the Continental gouge, but for my purposes, the use is going to be limited to shaping vessels. I would suspect if one did a lot of large spindle work - posts, legs, etc., this tool would be very, very handy!