Thread: Clear top coat on latex acrylic

Clear top coat on latex acrylic

We are looking to paint a dresser with a crackle finish. Someone gave us a crackle medium from Old Village Paint ( http://www.old-village.com/prod_all_cracked_up.html ).

We like the effect we get. Now, we want to top coat it with something clear. Unfortunately, the crackle stuff reacts to water (making water-based top coats a problem).

Any suggestions on what we could use that won't yellow, interact with or lift the paint???

Interesting, i had to go to their site to read of it, you would have to tell me what i could not glean from there such as if it's a one package deal or if there is a foundation coat laid down first before the crackle coat is applied? Or in other words is the whole process done with just one can of material without anything else being used?

I ask only because there is usually a drying reaction between two differing substances to cause the affect. such as latex over hide glue or lacquer flatting agent over latex or lacquer enamels to avail the affect to happen. if it's a one can [component] deal that would be interesting for sure.

Though acrylic or vinyl would most likely be ok, i will wait to see what further help you can give as to the actual process as to what is most likely and can be best used for it to be over coated with ok? then again maybe others already have used it and know from direct experience as to what has worked best for them. It would still be nice though to know of what i ask just for future refference, if you would be so kind.
    Last edited by sheldon pettit; 05-09-2012 at 1:37 AM.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

What does the manufacturer say? I see they have their phone number listed on their web site.
    Howie.........

well i went back to the site:Uses:
    Crackle Decorating for Antique finishes is the newly rediscovered, and today's fastest growing, folk art technique. Crackling is accomplished in three basic steps.

1. Apply a coat of flat latex paint
    2. Apply All Cracked up crackle medium
    3. Apply a coat of latex paint.

With this at least i know it's not a two step process but 3, flat white latex as the foundation coat, The crackle coat, which again coud be hide glue etc., and the wet coat of latex over it to cause the seperation. thier reccomendations for a top coat is a polyurethane from what i see, so at least that tells you something.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yeah, I believe that their recommended top coat (which they just happen to sell) is a polyurethane. I don't want to use polyurethane. They also suggest shellac. However, my wife is afraid of coloring.

I'm wondering about some kind of sanding sealer...and then applying a WB acrylic on top of that (like Target EM6000).

shellac wil add color also even the lightest colors like blonde or platina, if you don't want color i would still suggest an acrylic or vinyl which wont yellow or amber over time. Just make sure to make samples for compatability issues which if the latex is acrylic type to begin with should not be a problem. Just make sure the latex is good and dry before applying any over it.
    Sincerely,