Thread: Any reviews of the G0555LX bandsaw?

Any reviews of the G0555LX bandsaw?

I know this bandsaw has only been out a short while, but wondering if anyone has used it? Any new onwers care to give a review?

Compared to the G0555, these are the biggest differences(as stated on the Grizzly website):

The G0555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw has many of the same great specifications and features as our extremely popular G0555, but with the following notable differences:

• Computer-balanced cast iron wheels
    • Rack-and-pinion guide post adjustment for upper blade guides
    • Sturdy T-shape fence design

Thanks,
    Glenn

They started to ship it out last week ago. We should see reviews coming in

It sounds like the only significant difference might be the fence. Balanced wheels would mean less vibration but I haven't read that G0555s are known for vibration problem like the Ridgid 14"ers are. Rack and pinion post adjustment seems like a convenience item. I'm not familiar with G0555 fences. I have the Rikon and find the 'high low' fence handy for ripping thin narrow strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Balanced wheels would mean less vibration but I haven't read that G0555s are known for vibration problem like the Ridgid 14"ers are. Rack and pinion post adjustment seems like a convenience item.
    All the wheels are "balanced" if not they would buck like crazy. The rack and pinion guide post adjustment is just a convenience until when you don't have one you drop the guides onto your fingers... Up until know the Shop Fox is the only 14" Delta clone I have seen with a R&P guide post.

Right now at the price I think the saw is a no-brainer if you are looking near its price point, the cast wheels are a known since they come on their other saws, I am betting the guide post adjustment is similar or exactly the same as the Shop Fox.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,

Is there a different between Shop fox 14 W1706 wheels and Grizzly G0555X cast iron wheels design?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    Van,

Is there a different between Shop fox 14 W1706 wheels and Grizzly G0555X cast iron wheels design?
    The Shop Fox has had at least 2 different wheel styles, a "spoked design" and a circle cutout design like the current 555X (not sure if the 555X had the spoked design before, don't remember seeing one). I suppose what I am saying is I think both the SF and Grizzly 14" saws have the same cast wheels and ASSUME the 555LX wheels are the same as the 555X.

To me the LX certainly appears to be a better deal than the 555 even at regular prices, at $80 LESS at the intro price it is a no brainer if your budget is in the 500-700 range and you want new.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for all the input. I talked to Grizzly and asked about the riser block that goes with the 555LX, as the site has it "unable to ship"/ out of stock. The lady told me it was supposed to be in stock August 27. I kind of want to wait and do it all in one fell swoop, not get some 93s and then 2-3 months later get the 105s when the riser is available. I've been looking for a good used BS for around 2+ years, so I'll tough it out a little while longer. She said the "intro" deal would be good thru the year until the new catalog came out. I asked her about that 3 times at least.

I guess my biggest question/concern is in the part of the statement: "The G0555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw has many of the same great specifications and features as our extremely popular G0555,.....". I am curious what, if any features, they didn't include that is on the original 555. Just trying to do the best research I can for my dollar. 90+% sure I will order one of these tho. Until then, I'll be reading all I can gather.

Glenn

I think Van will agree (least I believe he has commented to this effect before), If you're going to put a riser block on the Grizzly G0555LX, you'd be better off looking at the steel framed bandsaws instead. It seems the cast iron saws flex, especially with a riser block. I just got a Rikon 10-325 for $829 + tax, it has 13" of cutting height. And while I haven't had it long enough for a thorough review, my first impressions are really good. As many have noted, the guides are finicky to set, but once set they are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    If you're going to put a riser block on the Grizzly G0555LX, you'd be better off looking at the steel framed bandsaws instead. It seems the cast iron saws flex, especially with a riser block.
    Kevin-Thanks for the heads up. I plan to mainly be using the BS for processing wood for turning. Not sure if this would add to or decrease the amount of flex. Green wood will be a prime candidate. Hopefully I'll get to more info about this.

Thanks,
    Glenn

I would say it would increase the amount of flex. The thicker the material cut the more stress, and the cast aluminum upper wheel hinges are/can be a weak spot in this style of saw. And while the hinge castings may vary some, I had one break on my Porter Cable 14" BS, which is what led me to getting the steel frame Rikon. In looking at the upper wheel assembly on it, I can't readily see anything that will give a problem.

Van has alot of experience in band saws, and is a good source of information. If you decide on a new saw, Van said the Rikon 10-325 or similar steel frame Grizzly's (G0513 line) are good for the money. I chose new because my area just doesn't produce many used saws, and I wanted a minimum 12" cutting height, and many of the older used saws don't reach that height till you get to the BIG machines that I don't have room for.

Too bad you aren't close, you could come by and check out my Rikon.

The LXs are showing up in peoples shops, anyone have one yet? Given its kinship to the rest of the 555 line I don't expect anything unusual, but maybe some people need a push to get them to jump. It is certainly the best deal going on a mid-level cast 14" saw, I expect them to be backordered soon.