Thread: Stanley 45 Question

Stanley 45 Question

A friend is cleaning out some of his dad's stuff and found this Stanley 45 hand plane. He ask me for some more information on it. I'm having a hard time finding one that looks like this. All the ones I see have a fence that circles out in the middle, and the wood handle is on the fence.

Any idea what year or type this is?

Is this one complete?

Is this the fence that came with it or is this a optional fence?

Do I need this? Any one have one they use a lot in there shop? stanley 45.jpgstanley 45A.jpg

Well, it appears you are missing the outer skate. That's the part that has the "outer circle" piece you are thinking of. Also, no depth adjuster, but that's part of that style. Looks like a type 4, from 1880-1892
    http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...es/45types.htm

Without the outer skate it's not going to work very well.

If you want it as a shop user, then you will want to buy a skate for it. Any of the skates from any year should work. You also appear to have the rear slitter stop, which often is missing on these planes.

Very useful plane if you want to make grooves in boards (something you would do these days with a router or on a table saw). You can also bead with them.
    Last edited by Brian Kerley; 05-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.

I believe it is a type 4, 1890-1892, per Dave Heckel's book. It is missing the sliding section that fits between the body and fence. Rosewood on the fence came later. This type uses the non-slotted cutters. You'll likely get mixed answers on usefulness. With a 1/4" cutter it is good for drawer bottom grooves.

Great information, I thought something was missing.
    Thanks, Jacob

Blog Entries
    The Stanley 45 is a very useful plane to have.

Jacob and Greg are correct about this being a type 4.

It can be used if you get a few blades and a skate for it.

My preference is for the later models with a blade adjuster and the fine adjustment on the fence.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)