Thread: I have a question but

I have a question but

I'm now afraid to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
    I'm now afraid to ask
    I have an answer, but i'm scared to give it!!

How about we both break down these walls of fear and continue forward??

I'll go first, the answer is: Yes,

it's possibly unlikely that in your circumstances that what your asking may or may not work depending on whether or not you follow the unwritten laws of behavior-able affect of what your trying to accomplish. If so, then by all means, it then may work if everything is in place and fully understood for the outcome to be successful. If not, then I would suggest you re-think what we have discussed and try approaching it from a different view, so that whether it works or not, there will still be learning gained either way, ok?

Last edited by sheldon pettit; 05-11-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

I have lots of questions....few answers and at my age I will forget both by morning........LOL
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

only of Virginia wolf
    921 miles South from that famous person Steve Schlumpf

I'll answer it...

Definitely maybe!
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have lots of questions....few answers and at my age I will forget both by morning........LOL
    Got a chuckle from this... I have to write everything down these days.. I have to start accepting this..

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I'll answer it...

Definitely maybe!
    I'm with you, maybe? No, definitely, hmmm........... MAYBE

Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Well, could be the wrong place but it's a problem I encountered today.

I've successfully joined and applied several different species of raw veneer over the last 3 years and the joints have been real nice and look professional.

I spent the whole day trying different machining methods to join African padauk and cant avoid a little tear out.. The tiny varying spaces can only be seen looking at the joint through a window..

I want to move forward and apply the veneer so question is is there a way to apply a colour(ie grain fill) to insure that I wont notice the tiny spaces.. The Padauk has lots of open grain but the spaces in the joints could be visible to the substrate..

Thanks, Joel

I came here to look for Scott's input and cant thank him enough for his past help and education....

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
    Well, could be the wrong place but it's a problem I encountered today.

I've successfully joined and applied several different species of raw veneer over the last 3 years and the joints have been real nice and look professional.

I spent the whole day trying different machining methods to join African padauk and cant avoid a little tear out.. The tiny varying spaces can only be seen looking at the joint through a window..

I want to move forward and apply the veneer so question is is there a way to apply a colour(ie grain fill) to insure that I wont notice the tiny spaces.. The Padauk has lots of open grain but the spaces in the joints could be visible to the substrate..

Thanks, Joel
    a few answers first, if your not in a big rush you can book all the veneers together between 2 pieces of wood longer than the veneer and use a flat metal/wood/or other and sand the 1/32 " protruding above the boards flush, it may take awhile but it has worked for me on difficult woods.

If your in a hurry though, you could use an acrylic filler [crystal clear, and mix padauk sanding dust with it , tape off the joints and overfill some and let dry and then sand to where it's just even with the rest of the veneer surfaces.
    Last edited by sheldon pettit; 05-12-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Sincerely,

I've not been thrilled in the past with sawdust repairs. I find a better match with grain filler and dyes/pigments. Also good success with grain filler and Japan colors. You can use two different colors to simulate the grain for larger voids. Go darker rather than lighter. That tricks the eye better.

Obviously, experiment on test pieces until the match is good.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've not been thrilled in the past with sawdust repairs. I find a better match with grain filler and dyes/pigments. Also good success with grain filler and Japan colors. You can use two different colors to simulate the grain for larger voids. Go darker rather than lighter. That tricks the eye better.

Obviously, experiment on test pieces until the match is good.
    My experience with wood dust filling has not been very good either... The Japan colors look great.. First time I heard of it.. Thanks
    Really like the idea of dyes for coloring wood in general.. Have to look into this..

Joel