Thread: Leveling a concrete basement floor (Who and how much?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leveling a concrete basement floor (Who and how much?)

Quick question as I don't know what type of contractor to call to get a quote for this. We had some major foundation work done six months ago and everything in regards to the foundation appears good now. The problem is we're left with a very uneven concrete floor. We'd like to tile a portion of the basement and do laminate in the rest. The problem is the floor is so uneven and out of level we can't do either. Does anyone know if there are contractors that will pour a leveling compound over the entire basement (approx. 1500 sq ft)? If so, how do I find them via the internet/yellow pages? I was also wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this type of work would cost? The high to low points are only 1" throughout the basement, the problem is some areas have this amount of variation within six feet.

I've looked at the self leveling compounds at the home centers but this size job is beyond what they sell and my skill level.

Thanks in advance,
    Wes

P.S. The basement is currently finished but presently torn up as we're still putting everything back together after the foundation work.

I'd look for a company that does commercial carpeting and tile work. Failing that I'd go for a residential contractor of the same type. They deal with uneven floors for a living.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

I'd second the commercial flooring contractor. I'd be a bit hesitant on a residential contractor unless he came highly recommended, though. Too many of those guys will use products and methods in ways they weren't ever intended to be used.

As for DIY, it isn't necessarily out of the question. A number of the self-leveling compounds are fairly user friendly. A heavy duty drill with a mixing blade and a five gallon bucket goes faster than you think. You can buy the materials at a commercial flooring supply house and they're usually pretty good about answering questions if you don't hit them right when they're busy. Baked goods are often a good ice breaker.

The DIY method is ok if you plan on doing the final work yourself, but as a contractor myself I would not warranty any tile work not to crack on a sub base that I did not prep.
    JMHO
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I would check for commercial flooring contractor as mentioned above, commercial flooring in the yellow pages and look up the local up the floor layers union over there. If you can"t find the union there look over in KC, I live in Olathe. Some of the workes might be looking for a side job and they do take PRIDE in their work.

I was in commercial construction for 38 years, doing HVAC, and watched those people do some great work. If you have problems finding anyone PM me and I will help all I can from this end. I will noit do the work but I will try to find some people to do it.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    We had some major foundation work done six months ago and everything in regards to the foundation appears good now.
    I'm curious about what foundation work you had done - looks like I may have to have some work done. Any advice on finding a good contractor?

That's a big job for a person to do themselves. 1500sq/ft of SLC is alot. There is also a lot of prep work that has to be done before the SLC is even put down. It's not going to be cheap, if it's done properly. It takes a few guys working together quickly and efficiently to do that big of an area. Once the SLC goes down, there is still more prep work, for moisture control, before the flooring of any type can be put down.
    You also mention that the floor is not level. Is it supposed to be level, or does it pitch away intentionally? Some foundations are poured to allow water to flow in an intended direction. Before you level it, make sure there's not a reason for it to not be level?
    Are you going to do a lot of tiling? If so consider hiring that out, along with leveling the floor. The tile setter will either be able to do it, or know the person who can.
    For your own knowledge though, I would suggest that you drop in to John Bridges Tiling Forum. There are many threads and articles about SLC's and you may be able to gain a contact for someone in your area to perform the work. It's a nice group of people on his forum also.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)