Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tour #6A Grey machines

Shop Tour #6A Grey machines

hello fellow WW's

Shop tour 6 will be looking at some of my grey colored machines. There will be shop tour 6A 6B 6C and 6D for grey machines. Shop tour 7 will have some green machines ( not grizzly although their stuff is pretty good ). Shop tour 8 will have the stragglers and some gold machines.

Tonight we have the Newman 60 Jointer for your viewing pleasure. Here are its vital specs

weight ~ 2200 lbs
    size = 16"
    Table width = 22"
    Motor 5 hp direct drive
    Ball bearing 3 knife cutter head

Here are some of the details

1. This is not a true patternmakers jointer, although it did come from a pattern shop. The infield table does not tilt as would be the case in a true patternmakes jointer. The outfeed table does tilt via the little stange lever you see in the left hand side of one of the pictures. That tilt feature is used to create an intentional hollow in the edge of a jointed board. When two boards are put together in a "glue up", being jointed like that, it creates a small gap between the edges. This joint was called a "spring joint", the idea being that a couple of clamps put in the center to pull it together would result in the ends also being clamped by the "spring" in the joint. The "spring joint lever" can also adjust the tables to be co-planer as well and that is how I normally use the machine.

2. The newman uses a very typical "three toed" stance and many people find it very comfortable to work with.

3. As you can see it is direct drive. All vibration due to belts and pullies are eliminated. Most of the old time machines used this method ( oliver, moak, northfield, and newman ). The cutting head on the newman has just over a 5" cutting circle! I think that this was to compensate for the slow head speed compared to modern belt drive units that spin around 4500 or 5000 rpm ( keeping the SFM with both designs ). The bearings on the newman were particularly large, with the inboard bearing having a 5" ID !!! . They are lubricated with and oil bath / oil cup system... I call it constant drip.

4. The infield table is adjusted with a "ships wheel" which runs into a worm drive gear reducer which results in very fine adjustments per wheel rev ( 0.010" per wheel revolution !) . The outfeed table has the more traditional lower wheel that really is never adjusted much.

5. The tables themselves sit on top of the wedge bed and actually slide independently from the wedge. With out lowering either table you can slide each table back from the cutter head to expose the entire cutter head and all of the dust collection below. Supposedly it also allows one to correct for twist by shimming under the table rather than trying to mess with the gibbs and ways. You will also notice the steel edging attached to the cast iron tables.

6. The 22" extra wide table makes it possible to take "skewing cuts" for figured wood and such and still keep most of the lumber on the table ( even though the blade is only 16" wide ).

7. The tables are long ( about 96" ), but the oliver had even longer tables.

I have found this to be a real nice machine. The newman 60's do come up for sale every so often and if in good shape are well worth the $.

thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lou sansone; 04-01-2005 at 7:40 AM.

couple more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Lou! Wow what a machine! I love looking at old machery, and old stuff still being used.Your jointer makes my delta 8 inch look like a bench top unit! Very nice pictures..love it
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Lou,

That is another beauty!!! I see what you are after and it is really nice stuff. I can picture myself using that baby...it would be a joy!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Lou,
    Nice little machine. I see why you thought I might be worried, with an old iron addiction that serious. Is the fence adjustable side to side, so that you could edge joint on the first part of the head?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Lou......now that is an "Aircraft carrier"! WOW!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lou...You are having way too much fun at SMC'rs expense.

Wouldn't the HF 6" model hold that coffee cup just as well???
    Seriously, that is one nice jointer!! Hmmm....The USS Newman. I like that! Jim.

Gee, Lou what don't you have? Very NICE, I can see that you are blessed and one lucky guy. seeya.
    Revealing unknown Beauty, with a touch of finesse

Hi Lou, The old iron is great. Do you rebuild it all yourself.
    My friend Ben is looking forward to going up to your place to get the bandsaw. Compared to the 36" Moak you are getting to replace it, the bandsaw is small.
    take care,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Lou,
    Nice little machine. I see why you thought I might be worried, with an old iron addiction that serious. Is the fence adjustable side to side, so that you could edge joint on the first part of the head?
    Hi alan
    The fence can be moved to 4 locatons along with width of the table ( athwartship ?).
    it may not be visible in the shots that I have shown, but the fence is held down with 2 big hand screws. there are about 4 other locatons across the face of the outfeed table where the fence can be bolted down with those hand screws.

lou

Very very nice Lou. I love the old iron(big), but I just don't have the space for it.
    It's nice to see the passion that you have, reflected in your machinery choices.
    That must be a really well built floor to handle the weight of that machine on those three legs.
    Once again Lou, absolutlely stunning.

Lou,
    That is what I thought, as this is the way that that issue is handled on the Oliver, and the Am. WW Mach. 12"-er that I have, but I couldn't see the holes for the other positions in you photos.

By the way, have you given thought to a bit of a more colorful shop? All that gray might get depressing. Might I suggest apricot ice, or perhaps a nice mango? That way you could quickly tell one machine from the other and make fewer errors when working at a commercial pace. I would think about a decorator. A blueberry planer? Please don't take these comments as overly critical as your shop is quite charming.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Out in West Texas that would be considered a Mesa!! That's an enormous & very cool jointer you have....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Lou,
    That is what I thought, as this is the way that that issue is handled on the Oliver, and the Am. WW Mach. 12"-er that I have, but I couldn't see the holes for the other positions in you photos.

By the way, have you given thought to a bit of a more colorful shop? All that gray might get depressing. Might I suggest apricot ice, or perhaps a nice mango? That way you could quickly tell one machine from the other and make fewer errors when working at a commercial pace. I would think about a decorator. A blueberry planer? Please don't take these comments as overly critical as your shop is quite charming.
    Your points are well taken on the variety of colors in the shop. Keep in mind that shop tour 7A ,7B and 7C will focus on the green machines in the shop. One of those machines has not arrived yet, but will be ready for its debut when needed. Shop tour 8 will show a couple gold machines. But I am open to having some other colors in the shop

lou