Thread: shadow box Q

shadow box Q

I'm making a simple 2' x 4' x 3" deep. Do you think 1/2 thickness for the sides is too thin?

Blog Entries
    If it is ply and not supporting any stress, I would say you're fine. If it will be solid wood, a 48" unsupported span is pretty long. The joinery used along the edges to a back panel can solve a lot of this but, adds weight. Do you have a doodle of your design?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't have a sketch, and I didn't think that the weight as being an issue. I was planning on having the frame solid cherry and a back of 1/4" ply that would be screwed into the back after a fabric cover is added to it. I thought i would just make a rabbit for it to fit into.

Christopher,
    I don't really think there is a "simple" shadowbox. I make quite a few shadowboxes and 1/2" for 48" will be quite a span. The back will help strengthen it as long as you don't want to hang it. With only 1/2" thickness to work with it will be difficult to rabbit, I use a 3/8 rabbit to leave room for the screws holding on the back. That leaves you only 1/8" around the edge. I also make mine 3 1/4 in deep. 3" will work but you need to make your flag enclosure a little bigger to accommodate the folded flag behind. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll be happy to offer my suggestions on what has worked for me.