Thread: Roubo Design Dilemma

Roubo Design Dilemma

Hello Creekers!

I have been wanting to build a proper Roubo workbench for some time. I thought I'd make mine a left-handed variant with the leg vice on the right side. I might also put cabinets below it, but use sliding doors as opposed to drawers or hinged cabinets.

Anyway, here is my dilemma:

I am not sure of the dimensions for the top of this bench. I have two large beams. Their dimensions are 3.75 x 6.375 x 107 inches. The boards are a pine/fir variant and are very dense and have ring counts over 150.

-If I cut the boards in half and laminate them, I could make a 3.75 x 24 x 53 inch top or add breadboard ends for a few extra inches.
    -I could cut two 66 inch boards and combine the cutoffs to get another 66 inch board and make a 3.75 x 18 x 66 inch top, plus optional ends. I might even go around the perimeter of this top with a different lumber.
    -Another option would be to cut two 78 inch boards and use the cutoffs and the end pieces. I'll then fill the middle with other lumbers and maybe a tool tray.

If any of you can ponder up something else, chime in. I trust that some of you have lessons learned though experience. Also, I don't need an 8 foot bench because I rarely work with anything over 60 inches in length.

Being a lefty, a left-handed bench sounds good to me. If you have room for an eight foot long bench, I think you should build it that long. Even if you don't work on pieces that long, the extra surface area will probably come in handy.

I'd probably avoid framing the top although breadboard ends might be nice. Be sure to make provision for that top to change dimensions with the seasons. You get some pretty broad swings in relative humidity as we do here.

As to how you should cut up the lumber, do what you can to avoid end to end joints on the bench. Long continuous planks would be best. Easier to keep flat. Have you settled on a design?

I like the Roubo built by Christopher Schwarz in "The Return of Roubo" (August, 2010) in Popular Woodworking.

A few changes I would make:
    -no through tennons or drawbore pins. I am going to make custom cross dowels and use 1/2 inch bolts. I'll also add die springs to compensate for movement.
    -His is 72" long x 20" wide. I might make two separate pieces for my top. This will aid with mobility because I will probably be moving everything this summer.
    -Tool tray in the middle. I will either make it removeable so that a filler block can be added or I will have a cover for it.
    -His legs are 12" from the end. I might go 6 or 8" because I am going to put a cabinet in mine.
    -Add a sliding deadman.
    -Add my Pony vice to the left end.
    -Add crochet next to leg vice, but attach it with fasteners so that it can be removed.

I've thought about this for some time. I'll build a shorter bench because I know that I will want to build a second bench in the long run.