Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GUESS what I bought contest thread, with a PRIZE for the winner, a real prize!

Northfield Jointer.

Larry

Remember that there are 4 requirements to the answer to qualify -
    Brand name
    Model#
    Size
    Descriptive noun

Van, I think you know what my guess would be... a medium duty, 12" aircraft carrier manufactured in a field up north. I apologize for the cryptic answer but I am not interested in the prize (if I am correct) and would be happy if someone interested in the prize would take my guess and (if correct) end this thread and begin the congratulations/ you sucks. This has been a long and fun (see rule number 10) way to share in your excitement. Thank you for sharing in a creative way.
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

Northbound 12 Medium Duty Jointer.

Made is USA - Check
    Larger than bread box, smaller than bread truck - check
    and the weight seems right: 1150 + you (200) + keg (140 - 170) = 1440

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/medium.htm
    Last edited by brian c miller; 05-18-2012 at 4:27 PM.

Wait a minute,

I just read your post on the MOAK thread, where it mentions your going to an auction recently.

Was that a hidden clue?

Rick P

In the "molten" thread, Van mentioned something about being pulled toward the vortex... Another clue too?

Rheem 105 gal elec water heater

OK, I'll have a go. Something for the shop which is US built, large-ish, electric and weighs at least 1500ish lbs. I'm guessing a Powermatic PM100 planer. I know that you like your machines to have some dash. These have an elegant art deco look.

powermatic 3520b lathe

We have a winner!!!! It was obvious Jerrimy knew the day before yesterday, I read and reread his criptic post several times going "he knows, man he is good" he then crept up a little more yesterday but stopped short since Jerrimy isn't exactly someone that needs tooling... Brian Miller is the winner as he carried it completely across the line. Larry you were on the right trail too, just needed the size and model!

So I did win a 1978 Northfield medium duty 12" jointer, 3hp 3ph direct motor drive, it was a high scholl machine with little use and has several options including the 4 knife head, hand brake and hand brake microswitch. Since some options in the past are standard now the current price for this machine is a tad over $13,500, lets just say I didn't follow the 50% rule... Since I haven't beeen able to pick it up yet (probably another week or two) I will revive the thread with pictures since no pics didn't happen.

My next clue was going to be "Oh My my motor doesn't have any bearings!!!!" Which is true, the motor rotor is part of the journal head and hangs cantilevered off the back only the journal head has bearings. Lets just say this machine is SMOOOOOOTH. A 12" jointer has been at the top of my hit list for a few months now and I had some other (and better) options BUT the more I worked with my shop layout the more I saw the MD's 74" tables as working much better than more standard 84" tables and certainly the longer ones. It ain't a Porter, Oliver or even a Northfield HD but it is plenty of jointer for my lifetime and it is just a machine I have an afinity for despite not being the king of 12" jointers.

Auction story and pictures to follow when I get her into "storage". I also get the irony of over 5,000 pounds of machines sitting waiting for a new shop when I keep buying more machines/tools/tooling with no place to use it...

Congrats to both Jerrimy and Brian and thanks for playin!

Brian send me a PM w/ your address when you get a chance.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Funny, Van. A 12" Northfield Jointer, no fooling, was my very first guess, but I couldn't come up with "medium duty", and I knew I had to get that part right or no dice! Congrats, Brian
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 05-19-2012 at 3:55 PM.

Good on ya Brian! I didn't know if Van was gonna let the Northbound slide through or not.

Oh and Van, You S... Lucky Dog! Congrats on the new-to-you toy. Will you have another contest with your next purchase?
    Last edited by Jerrimy Snook; 05-19-2012 at 3:49 PM.
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

John, I was waiting on your guess as I had a feeling you were in the area just waiting for your foward observer to laze the target, playing your cards close to the vest.

Jerrimy, I may do another contest BUT it is clear I talk too much, there are two people in this thread who have guessed 2 of my next 3 planned purchases and done it exactly and more than one has guessed my alternative to one of those 3 if my first choice doesn't pop up! Maybe they will have to guess the year it was built and the social security number (or tax ID #) of the original purchaser... that might take "yall" an extra day.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Congrats! I still think you need a stuffed gator to hang on the wall.. just sayin’
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Congrats! I still think you need a stuffed gator to hang on the wall.. just sayin’
    Like I said Bruce the real ones crawl up there on occasion. Now if a stuffed one hung OUTSIDE the shop would keep the lives ones away that might be worth considerin'! Maybe one resawn down the middle hanging on the swamp side might give them an appreciation of what a bandsaw meets gator looks like... wonder what blade I should use for that... Plus, I haven't ever talked to the locals here about what a "local" can get a stuffed one for but they sell the 6 footers for near $2,000 to the tourist types, $2k buys a lot of iron! My next door neighbor used to have a very realistic expanded foam gator about 10' long he used to keep on the end of the dock, lets just say boat traffic tended to slow down, lots of rubber necked lookers.