Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Sanding Disaster

Oak Sanding Disaster

Guys,

I ma not sure what happened but I think that the sanding grit has stained the pore of the oak. I used a dark gray 100 grit pad on a random orbit sander and now I have a gray tint to the wood pores.

I tried compressed air, H20, and Alcohol but the tint is still there...

Any ideas?

DSC03502.jpg

Here's a close up of what I am talking about.

I think I'd try raising the grain in a small test area and sand again, only try using a different type of paper like aluminum oxide. If the stains persist, you may have ferrous metal contamination of the oak wood.

- Beachside Hank
    Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

Re. the above. A really close look under a magnifier might show up if it's staining or trapped particles. If particles then maybe a more powerful vacuum than normal might shift enough air to move them. Maybe even a compressed air nozzle, although that might drive particles into the pores. If it's staining - wonder if there is a chemical means of neutralising the colour change?

So this was not sand paper but one of those abrasive pads? I have never had this happen with any type sand paper. All the sanding pads that I have seen are not designed for machine usage but maybe you have something different. I wonder if that is a result of heat degrading the pad and filling the pores?

Grab an eye loop (or similar) to see if those are particles or stains. if particles, try a dry scrub brush and a strong vacuum. If the wood is stained, I guess you need to deal with the stain :-(

I'll check when I get home tonight... I used a Gator Brand Zirconium Oxide disc from Lowes. I try to get the Norton 3x but I guess Lowes switched to this Gator brand.

http://www.gatorfinishing.com/products/17/

If it's is staining is there a product to "bleach" the wood back to it's original colour?

Thinking of how to "Cover Up" without changing your dimensions....

Can you fill the pores and cover the spots with wood filler?
    Can you stain the entire piece darker, to soften the contrast?
    Can you do both?

Not a fan of those Gators. They dull quickly, clock quickly and are not really that effective.

It's most likely the grit. They're the same color, and the grit on those pads and sandpaper does tend to fall off rather easily.
    Last edited by George Gyulatyan; 05-15-2012 at 5:32 PM.

I'd try a wire brush if it's grit in pores, oxacylic acid if it's stained.

if you fill the pores, will the sanding dust that are in the pores now disappear ?

Curious what the findings were here, stain or dust...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It's the grit.
    Can you plane the stock a skosh? If not, start over.
    Wet/dry paper will do it also.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It's the grit.
    Can you plane the stock a skosh? If not, start over.
    Wet/dry paper will do it also.
    I agree that planing might be the best option. That trapped grit will do a number on your blade(s) too.

Mike

I am thinking that it's a little bit of both clogged pores and some light staining... I won't know for sure about the stain until I get the pores cleared a little bit.

I just have a DW735 and the panel is about 4" too wide to go through the planner. No more trips through the planner unless rip it back in 2 parts and book match it again.

I am going the wire brush route this weekend, then air and make a decision, on weather to rip & plan again.

I am swearing off the "gator pads" in the future tho... it would have been lots easier to make a trip to the real tool store.

BCM
    Last edited by brian c miller; 05-17-2012 at 8:18 AM.