Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oak Sanding Disaster

What am I missing?

Why don't you just sand it (whatever it is) out with a different brand of 100grit? Also, I imagine you're not going to stop @ 100. keep working up in grits and see if the coloring goes away. My guess is it's grit that's been ground into the pores. Sanding will level the top layer of pores and open them up so the grit can escape.

You also haven't mentioned whether you plan to dye/stain this. If yr staining it dark, it really won't matter in the end.

I wouldn't resort to planing/bleaching/wire brushing until you've determined that additional sanding doesn't solve the problem.

Last, how hard were you pressing with yr ROS? It took me a long time to learn to let the paper - not the pressure - do the work. I also try to remember the advice: "use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it". Working the same paper too long makes me push harder, and leads to all kinds of probs for the piece and the ROS.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-17-2012 at 9:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'd try a card scraper before too much wire brushing. They can work wonders!

If you have a belt sander, I'll bet that sanding it again with a 100 grit belt would scour the dark grit out of the troughs in the course grain of the oak. If you don't have a belt sander available o you, try hand sanding with 80 or 100 grit using a hard rubber sanding block.....sanding only with the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McColley View Post
    belt sander

I don't actually own a belt sander... I think I'll got go back to 80 grit Norton 3x and see if it will work it self out.

BCM

I can't tell if you used H20 first or not. If you did, then the water has mineral which caused the black spots.
    Otherwise, if you use distilled water, then it should be clean w/o any black spots. I know because I use distilled water to
    raise white oak and someone use just tap water and sure enough, there were black spots in his white oak.