Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Curious - Cell Phone Jammers

Before I retired, I was required to carry a company owned Cel phone. This proved to be very unreliable inside & outside the plant and since my job involved emergency situations, I started carrying an older 2-way which was the same unit as our Security used. Very reliable and built like a tank. You could also place outgoing phone calls on it. Perfect tool for life and death situations and the ability to program channels enhances security.

Why not allow Pagers(remember those?) and if any one has a emergency call, they can immediately respond through a couple company provided land line phones in a "Quite Room" in plant.

Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 05-16-2012 at 8:20 PM.

No one will want to work there. No one will understand why you are doing this to them. Your place of business shouldn't be a jail. Hire responsible people and show them some respect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Because we didn't have the kind of things we have today, such as organ transplants. Also, there was no alternative. Women had babies and the husband didn't know she had gone into labor. A child was seriously injured and the parents didn't know until the child had passed away.

Modern technology, such as cell phones, allows us to overcome those limitations. Why shouldn't we use the technology, and demand that it be available? I, for one, do not wish to go back to 1800's.

Mike

[And, I might add, if you had any of those situations, you'd demand access, also. It's easy to take that attitude until your ox is gored.]
    My point is that we should not demand that someone else should bend over backwards to make sure everyone can be reached instantly. If you are in a situation that you feel you must be reachable, then it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you are, not mine. I am not saying we should not use modern technology. I am saying that we should not be forced to use it. I think if a business feels it is bad for business then they should have the right to ban the use of anything they want. If you feel you cannot bare to be unreachable, the don't go there, it's your choice. I cannot think of any situation where I would demand someone make sure I had access to technology.
    Mike, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    My point is that we should not demand that someone else should bend over backwards to make sure everyone can be reached instantly. If you are in a situation that you feel you must be reachable, then it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you are, not mine. I am not saying we should not use modern technology. I am saying that we should not be forced to use it. I think if a business feels it is bad for business then they should have the right to ban the use of anything they want. If you feel you cannot bare to be unreachable, the don't go there, it's your choice. I cannot think of any situation where I would demand someone make sure I had access to technology.
    Mike, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.
    Your original comment was was "How did we ever survive as a society before cell phones?" and I addressed that in my response. I never said that anyone owed anyone else access.

I read your comment as "why do we need instant access when we lived without it in the past?" and I gave you some examples of situations where we would need immediate access, and how immediate access could be very valuable in many situations. And because it's so valuable, people demand access from their cell phone companies when there are dead spots. It's not unreasonable that people who purchase cell phone service want uninterrupted service and demand better when they don't get it.

If we disagree, it is not about whether anyone "owes" someone else access (except that the cell phone provider "owes" access to their customers) because that was not what I said in my posting.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-17-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

With a cell phone, there are no intermediaries, no messages, no being away from your desk, in a meeting, counting on a co-worker to track you down. That is, no delays and no hiccups. I've gotten a call from an EMT a thousand miles away while I was driving in my car. I was able to analyze the situation and get it resolved over the phone in minutes, avoiding dangerous hypoglycemic seizures and a trip to the hospital for my daughter while on a band trip.

Think what you like; I cannot be convinced.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

They're widely in used Japan in theaters and restaurants and licensed. The Japanese ones are very cool, it's essentially cell proxy that only allows emergency calls out and maybe sms in and out, I don't recall. I don't know about 3G and 4G but for the older systems it was easy to make a jammer out of an old cordless phone (not that I would ever have done that of course) and schematics were widely available on usenet.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    P.S. it annoys me when the powers that be tell me what I can and can't do in my business on private property.
    Well, the airwaves aren't your private property. But that sounds like an entirely reasonable policy to me, I'm really surprised more businesses don't have similar ones. Texting is the new smoking after all and if an employee spent their whole day sitting around smoking they'd get fired pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I don't mean to age bash, but the problem is with my 20-25 year olds. They have always been connected at the hip and just don't see it as a problem that they text their friends all day while being paid to work. This, of course is not a blanket statement regarding all in this age group, just the ones who work for me.
    It's not a blanket but it's a very large hand towel. I've had someone who was probably older than 25 actually take a phone call while I was interviewing her. Not, "[phone rings]Oh my, I'm sorry. I thought I turned that off". She actually answered and talked to the person for a couple minutes about dinner plans for the evening or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Modern technology, such as cell phones, allows us to overcome those limitations. Why shouldn't we use the technology, and demand that it be available? I, for one, do not wish to go back to 1800's.
    Well, for one cell phones immediately made obsolete many of the standard literary devices. Romeo and Juliet should have just texted and they would have lived..."Where u at J?" Nearly sitcom plot pre-1990 makes no sense now.

a few of the places ive worked, if the boss sees your phone, no matter if its a call or text, you got sent home. second time was fired.

one way to stop the cnc operator from texting, require the use of gloves at all times. ones that still enable the use of the cnc, but would make it impossible for a touch screen or the small buttons on the phone. its a saftey measure

in a few of the buildings at college, you get bars, but texts wont send apparently (we were told) due to some of the anntenae on the roof.

also, where the #%%@ do i sign up to work at $20 an hour?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Cell phones stay in the car/truck on my shift. It costs me 42 cents a minute for people to talk on their phone, so they can do it on breaks. I only give one warning.

Larry

This begs a question; how good is the CNC op?

If the person in question is under 30, a texting ban will feel like an amputation.
    That said, amend your employee handbook to limit communication to work-related tasks.

If that's insufficient, issue the clunky hand-helds mentioned above.

People rise to the level of your expectations.

I don't know the rigors of CNC vigilance, but I understand you're paying for ALL of their time on the clock.
    Texting on the job amounts to pilferage. Weigh that against the OP's productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    No one will want to work there. No one will understand why you are doing this to them. Your place of business shouldn't be a jail. Hire responsible people and show them some respect.
    Not a jail Pat. Should I just make it a policy that if an employee wants to receive or send a text, or make or receive a non emergency related phone call, they must do it on their own time? That's a lot of clocking in and out and I'm fairly sure productivity will plummet. I show my employees a great deal of respect, and I expect the same of them in return. That's what this basically boils down to, respect for me as an employer and the job they were hired to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post

also, where the #%%@ do i sign up to work at $20 an hour?
    Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Cell phones stay in the car/truck on my shift. It costs me 42 cents a minute for people to talk on their phone, so they can do it on breaks. I only give one warning.

Larry
    Larry, my 42 centers leave their cell phones in the car. So does my 43 center. I've seen a phone in the hand of my 50 center once when we pulled an all nighter and he called his wife to tell her he wasn't coming home, at which time he had rolled over to being a 75 center.

After a meeting last night we've decided to allow employees to keep their phones in the shop if they so desire, and take only emergency calls. We'll see how it goes from there.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Send someone home a time or two--which might mean you and/or others might end up having to take up the slack to meet a deadline--and show them you are serious. I'd bet it drops way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Send someone home a time or two--which might mean you and/or others might end up having to take up the slack to meet a deadline--and show them you are serious. I'd bet it drops way back.
    That's the plan.

From my calculations it appears that any income generated from increased productivity will be offset by the increase in toilet paper expenditures.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra