Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Curious - Cell Phone Jammers

Or you could just get all of your employees Sprint phones on the company. Odds of those actually working are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Let's not confuse the issue. An organ transplant situation is not the same as someone that wants to know if you want to grab a beer later. I've worked with people that had family members on the transplant list. They made it public and everyone in the building knew the situation and knew it was a top priority situation.

If anyone is expecting a text message for a transplant list, they aren't too smart. Text messages are NOT 100%. I've had dozens and dozens of texts not reach someone and I've not gotten many a text message people have sent. I had one last week. The guy was in the room next to me and was talking to a customer. I had some important information to get to him, privately for what he was talking about. I texted it to him and listened for his phone to indicate he got the message. It never rang. I called him aside, told him in person, and he pulled his phone out and there was no message from me. I resent it while I was standing there, it never came through. I've had that happen many times.

So it your argument is that people on transplant lists need text messaging, my message would be that they need a phone, not a text message.

I would never ever, ever, ever text message time sensitive, health related messages to anyone. That's just irresponsible.

There's also a very large part of West Virginia that's a radio free zone, so they don't have service. Look it up on google. Look up the Green Bank area and the satellites they have there. No cell towers around. I guess some of you can't travel there because of that. Cell phones are a privilege, not a right.
    People know where you work. If they need you, they are free to call your place of work.

It's a place of business, not a social club.
    When an organ becomes available for transplant, the potential recipient will be called by voice phone, they will not receive a text message. The organ group needs to know that the potential recipient is available and can get to the hospital in a certain amount of time. If not, the organ will go to the next person on the list who is a tissue match.

When my wife got the call, the organ was not even harvested yet. She had to get to the hospital, where they verified that she was in condition to receive the organ (healthy enough to withstand the surgery, no colds or other infections -and probably other things). Once she passed all the tests, the message was sent to the organ harvesting team who harvested the organ and put it on a plane (the donor was in another state). We got the call about 6:30am and she went into surgery late in the day.

So, just to reiterate, the contact must be made by voice contact, not by text or email or any other form of communications. (I guess TDD would be used if the recipient was deaf.) So you definitely want to make sure your cell phone battery is charged and your phone is turned on. If they can't reach you, they go to the next person on the list.

[Prior to everyone having cell phones, they used beepers and you had to call the transplant center in a certain amount of time.]

Mike

[I might also comment that long before even getting on the transplant list, you have to go through an extensive battery of tests, both physical and psychological. They want to know if you have any other diseases that might kill you, or would interfere with the organ. So if you have cancer and a bad heart, you may not be approved for a heart transplant because they have to suppress your immune system for the transplant, and that could allow the cancer to run wild. Or if you need a kidney transplant but have a bad heart, you might not get approved. Psychologically, you have to be able to manage the drug regime you'll be on. If you suffer from depression, you might not get accepted, depending on how bad it is. etc.]
    [They also want to know that you have the ability to pay for the surgery, either through insurance or that you're very wealthy.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-19-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, I don't think anyone disagrees with someone on a transplant list being tethered to some form of communication. I think you'd have to agree that the people Belinda is having an issue with aren't on the transplant list, they are texting back and forth all day. Two totally different issues.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Mike, I don't think anyone disagrees with someone on a transplant list being tethered to some form of communication. I think you'd have to agree that the people Belinda is having an issue with aren't on the transplant list, they are texting back and forth all day. Two totally different issues.
    I was replying to your comment that, "If anyone is expecting a text message for a transplant list, they aren't too smart". Text messages are not used for transplant notification.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I don't see how your office would be any more liable for emergency communications than you would have been before cell phones. In the old days your office phone was the only way for someone to get an emergency call.
    I've seen some incredibly strange things end up in lawsuits. I don't know if the scenario would result in an issue of liability or not, but I'm sure there is an attorney out there that would take the case. Also, it boiled down to how horrible I would feel if I missed a call and an employee didn't get a message about an emergency.

Let's all agree that those on transplant lists and those with serious medical conditions are off the table. Those types of employees obviously need to have access to their cell phones if they have one.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Dumb question: Are you perhaps using the wrong tool? If you have people who are on their phone that much, surely they aren't meeting quotas, production goals, or some other metric? Why not approach the problem from that way? Up your production or we have a problem.

Or to look at the argument from another angle, if they are meeting their goals, does it matter that they are on their phone? Obvious "Yes" answers include issues like safety and liability, which you'd have no trouble convincing me of in most shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    Dumb question: Are you perhaps using the wrong tool? If you have people who are on their phone that much, surely they aren't meeting quotas, production goals, or some other metric? Why not approach the problem from that way? Up your production or we have a problem.

Or to look at the argument from another angle, if they are meeting their goals, does it matter that they are on their phone? Obvious "Yes" answers include issues like safety and liability, which you'd have no trouble convincing me of in most shops.
    Part of it is an awareness and safety issue. I've seen parts fly off of a CNC table or router table. Once when we were moving a partial stone slab the clamp let go and the slab fell to the concrete. The stone was onyx, which breaks into glass-like shards. Fortunately, everyone was paying attention and got out of the way. I was one of the people "walking" the slab at the time and yelled "get clear" when I realized that the slab was slipping. If an employee couldn't heart me call out, or was texting instead of keeping an eye on the slab, the outcome could have been very serious. And yes, I realize that there are other distractions, etc., but at least I can try to minimize them.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Just a follow up. Everyone had complied with the new policy. I told them whenever they were finished with their work for the day they could go home (today is our "Friday"). They were finished by noon and surprised me with a cookout for lunch.

Bella Terra

while cell phones are a handy tool to use how many calls are miss because of the tower are too -far away ?

There you go. Better results with a bit of honey. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    while cell phones are a handy tool to use how many calls are miss because of the tower are too -far away ?
    Not very often these days. I went out west last fall and there wasn't a single place I had no signal on my phone that I know of. Even out in the middle of the desert many miles from civilization there is cell service now. If one is on a transplant list they need to be very careful about always having cell service.

There are some buildings that block cell service. My employer's Verizon cell phones don't work inside our printing plant. There has been talk for several years of adding femto cells inside the building, but it never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Not very often these days. I went out west last fall and there wasn't a single place I had no signal on my phone that I know of. Even out in the middle of the desert many miles from civilization there is cell service now. If one is on a transplant list they need to be very careful about always having cell service.

There are some buildings that block cell service. My employer's Verizon cell phones don't work inside our printing plant. There has been talk for several years of adding femto cells inside the building, but it never happens.
    just how expensive are femto cells

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I've seen some incredibly strange things end up in lawsuits. I don't know if the scenario would result in an issue of liability or not, but I'm sure there is an attorney out there that would take the case.
    Yeah, like the case in New Jersey. Where someone is being sued for sending a text massage, that someone else answered while driving that resulted in an accident where two occupants each lost a leg. Both parties are being sued, but suing the sender of the message is akin to suing the cell phone company for delivering that message. This is an example of a case where the attorney should should be fined, and or have their license to pratice law suspended for a determined amount of time for filing such a suit.

Whether the sender knew the receiver was driving or not, it simply doesn't matter. The driver that decided to read and/or attempt to respnd is solely responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    just how expensive are femto cells
    $250 from Verizon.

Free from sprint if you threaten to leave due to poor service. But you need a decent broadband connection.

Repeater antennas work well too. Basically two antennas and an amplifier. One goes outside and one inside. They are pricy though.