Thread: I did it ! (small newbe thing)

Blog Entries

I did it ! (small newbe thing)

yeah I know.... compared to the beauties you guys build my plane is just... yeah a plane. but it's my first success and considering
    I have only a few months of woodworking with real tools (and that means a few hours a week) under my belt, I feel like I'm on the
    horse now:
    Plane 1.jpg
    Plane 2.jpg

and by law I must show proof that is works: the wood bieng planed and the of the plane is Sapele

plane 3.jpg

Thanks for advising my and keeping me going on this matter, I feel up to trying the jointer now.

Blog Entries
    Great work Matthew.

I tried making a plane many years ago before finding this place. It didn't work and kind of kept me off the make my own boat.

Lately with all that has been learned here I have had thoughts of trying again. Now though there is so much on my plate that it will be quite a while before the opportunity will arise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim, and all I can say is when you have the time you should go for it, it took me a few attempts to get everything (especially the wedge and cross pin + internal angles and measurements) right but once I got it it's greatly satisfying. this plane is really nice to use, more than a high end (not wood) plane I have of the same size blade. I probably would have stopped trying too if not for this place.

Nice and clean..... Is that a solid block of wood? Looks like decent shavings.

Also, is your workbench three pieces of plywood stacked up?

Looks great to me. Nice tight mouth. Well done!

How did it do on the Sapelle? The one time I had a piece of sapelle I had a real hard time not getting tearout.

Great looking plane! And it looks like it works nicely as well. Good job!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Well done! I'm sure there will be many more to follow. Making planes is very addictive.
    You'll be dreaming up new projects to justify making more planes.... well that's what I do anyway.

Matthew, great job! That 's a beautiful plane, and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it lots. Keep posting here with your successes, they look like they're going to be great!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Nice job, Matthew!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone!
    Andrew, its not a solid block, but I cut the pieces from the same stick and matched the grain. if it were solid I'd really be impressed with myself. my "workbench" is just one piece of plywood 3cm thick. reinforced with steel and beech wood where the dog holes will be. I made it
    before I knew anything about woodworking, hence the ply... but I plan to turn it into a true bench. which is why I need a No.7 (-: I guess your right, Jeff! I already have joinery planes on my mind.

Chris, I know what you mean, but only some pieces are like that, they have these reversing grain strips running through them, but most of it planes very cleanly even with a low angle block plane, and the wood is really beautiful. I do find that a light cut is
    especially important though and when it does tearout it's nasty.. the plane leaves a glistening surface, but I haven’t tested it enough yet to compare to anything.

Daniel! "they look like they're going to be great!" I couldn't have asked for better encouragement! thanks!
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 05-17-2012 at 12:23 PM.

11. Wow, good inspiration for someone even newbier!