Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a fast setting wood glue

looking for a fast setting wood glue

I use my laser to cut out letters from thin plywood then glue the letters to the back of matboard. When I make them in the shop I just use gorilla glue or titebond and let it sit clamped over night. But this summer I plan to do a lot of craft shows and want to assemble them at the shows and am looking for a quicker drying alternative. I have played with hot glue and it works but often times at shows electric either costs $10 more per day or isn't available at all.

Can anyone suggest a fast drying or at least fast setting wood glue that isn't a two part mix that requires mixing?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

How about superglue? Them make various viscosities and spray accelerants
    Wood'N'Scout

Yep... There's Superglue brand as Steve said. But also many brands of cyanoacrylates or "CA" glues including Titebond and Zap. Titebond makes four thicknesses, I believe.

Ok, anything a bit slower than CA glues, It looks like the thicker glues dry in seconds. I guess I am looking more for something that drys or tacks in a minute or two so I have a bit of time to align everything.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

i use the titebond trim glue for doing raised panel glue-ups and assembly.

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive. It's sort of like contact cement in a spray can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Natalie View Post
    3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive. It's sort of like contact cement in a spray can.
    Yes, this is great stuff. Spray a light coat for removal or spray 2 coats and you are STUCK! Can be messy though - you need to account for overspray - maybe a cardboard box as a spray booth. There are different 3M spray adhesives with different tack strengths associate with each. The Super 77 is a good general purpose.
    Check out the options: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...=1114284885132
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

that white gorilla glue sets up pretty darn fast. too fast for me. I went back to the usual brown kind.

The syrup thick CA glues I've used take about a minute to go off if you're not using accelerator. Probably just the ticket for what you're trying to do. The only real downside is cost, $10 - $12 for 2 oz.

Google starbond glue. It brings you to CPH international. They know CA glue. Tell them what you want to do and they have a CA for you. They do have CA that set in a few minutes. You can get large bottles from them, if you got a "lot" of projects to glue up. Better than spending money on those tiny bottles.

No affilitation, I just like thier products.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    .....I am looking more for something that drys or tacks in a minute or two so I have a bit of time to align everything.
    That pretty much eliminates the contact cements like 3M Super 77 that Ron and Sam suggested.

Sounds like you think CAs are instant bonding. As John said, the thicker CAs give you at least 30 seconds to a minute before they lock solid, maybe longer. Give 'em a try.

Great link Kyle, as you write - "they have a CA for you" :http://www.starbond.com/
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    That pretty much eliminates the contact cements like 3M Super 77 that Ron and Sam suggested.
    Not necessarily, if you go to the 3M site that I linked you will see that they have lots of options for different applications and if you use a light spray you can put down and pick up - so not a true contact cement. You just need to study the product line.
    WQJudge

Check out the hi-pur polyurathane hot adhesives. It's a battery charged system, you could keep it going all day with a small inverter. They have formulas from 30 seconds to several minutes, and it's real real permanent. Made by tite bond, sold at wood craft, amazon, my local building supply has it too. Haven't used it but tried it at a demo, very impressive.

Well, disregard this post. Its not a battery powered device, must be plugged in, memory didn't serve me well. Its "cordless" for 20 minutes after its plugged in and heated up for 15 minutes! Maybe the inverter pack could still work though, of course they aren't cheap, and neither are these hi-pur kits.

check these out...http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-15...=pd_sim_auto_5

Won't be cheaper than $10/day, but it solves the not available at all problem.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 05-18-2012 at 8:08 PM. Reason: dumb advice retraction

I use a lot of elmers white glue and it sets up in minutes, Try it. $1.29 at Walmart. (School glue)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214