Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: table saw sled safety

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have pictures of the stop as well would you? Also is there a strip of plexi between the two wood strips that go from the front to the back, and if so does it collect a lot of sawdust and cause problems with visibility?
    Joe, I mounted a stop to the edge of the left wing and a post on the sled as shown in the first pic. The post could be a problem for some depending on how you store the sled. I dimensioned the sled width so it would fit on a shelf under the crosscut table when stored, so the post is not a problem.
    I did not add any plexi over the top. The two bars were added later to help in lifting it in & out of the shelf – the sled is on the heavy side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I am very interested, I had actually thought of mounting a guard from an old table saw onto the sled.
    Joe, Here are some pictures of my sled. I use an extra plastic guard from a tablesaw as the cover for the blade. Currently, it is hinged at the front fence. One improvement would be a way to secure it in the up position. I may put a magent in the wooden arm and in the fence to hold it up when I can't use it for the cut. The sled forward movement is stopped by a block screwed to the bottom of the sled and one to the side of the saw table. There is a glue-up at the back fence so the blade is not exposed when the sled travels all the way forward.

The high shape of the back fence in the middle keeps my handes out of the blade. I can't reach the blade with my fingers from the top or sides. The high fence also helps with standing boards on end for various cuts. I imagine you could add some boards in the middle at 45 degrees to guide your miter cuts.

Mike

Hold downs easily attached to the sled base or fence help to prevent fingers being used for that purpose. Other cues can help: if you don't mind the look, you can round over and smooth the edges of the fence only where fingers are appropriate, providing an immediate tactile notification that you should not grasp it elsewhere. It's the same idea as the spikes, really.

Clever idea Bruce. I think I'll add it to my sled.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Clever idea Bruce. I think I'll add it to my sled.

What are all the holes for on that sled?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

What are all the holes for on that sled?
    My guess would be that Greg removes the throat plate when using the sled and the holes aid in dust collection.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce is correct. I use a shop vac on top and the TS DC to further extract the fines. Works well.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.