Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is what I call a tool gloat... LOL

Now THIS is what I call a tool gloat... LOL

Picked up the little one at kindergarten and then we went to Ace Hardware... Daddy needed some "stuff".. you all know what stuff is... those other things that really don't have to be bought at the high price places...
    Well we got Daddy's stuff and were at the checkout when Mari says "Daddy, your tools are too big for me to use...".. Falling into the trap.. I respond "Yes Dear they are.. but we will get you some that fit you soon".... SLAM.. the jaws close and I hear "Well Daddy, how about this... it is just my size and I really really like it.. "
    OK... now I want to know who here is going to lie through their teeth and tell your 6 yr old daughter that they can't have a $7.99 tool so they can work in the shop with you.... COME ON...
    So here she is with her new hammer... complete with a hard coating of some kind of floral material.... Oh and the bottom unscrews to reveal a small screwdriver that fits her hand just right....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Tom,

Good stuff man- my daughter's six yrs old too and loves to play around the workbench.........

Alright Tom! Now she needs a saw, chisels, lathe, etc ....

I hope she gets a lot of good use out of that hammer - that is when Dad
    isn't playing with it!!

What's the first project? It is birdhouse season.

Seriously, I saw the Woodworking with Kids book that Lee Valley has at my local Woodcraft last weekend. Looked like it had some good projects in it.

Hope you two manage to stay out of trouble!

$ 7.99? It would have been worth $79.95 for that precious look and the opportunity to keep her interest! IMHO, of course. I truly hope that our kids will have some interest in doing "creative things" with mom and dad, whether woodworking or something else...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Too funny! Don't tell her about the pink TS sale at Kmart!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Tom,

You just reminded me that I promised to build a workbench "just the right height" in my woodshop. Tomorrow's the day I reckon. See what you started?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Tom:

It doesn't get better than that! Your daughter is adorable.

Jim: you will spend some of the best times in your shop watching the kids "hang out" with you.

I sometimes get frustrated because I want to do something, but I can't because of safety issues with the kids running around in the garage. I ussually stop what I am doing and sit down and watch the kids roller blade, ride bikes, dribble a basketball, etc..... you get the picture. There will be a point in my life where I will look back and think to myself that those times were the best times in the shop.

My boys are old enough to help me with sheet goods and I hope their helping me inspires them. My girls are too small and they are the ones that cause me concern.

Joe

Tom that look is priceless-- beautiful daughter and nice hammer too! She will keep it forever.
    Jerry

Priceless photo of your daughter....next thing you know she'll be fighting for time on the TS!

Her first project should be a frame for that picture so you can hang it in your shop!

Lovely pic of your daughter, the $7.99 was well spent.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

the greatest gifts do not come in a box! You are a blessed man.

lou

Tom,

That picture is truely priceless! The $8 was the best money you have spent in awhile
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Tom.....You caved in? .......Who wouldn't? Fantastic photo!

Jim....as Joe said some of your best memories, if you're lucky, will be the times spent in your shop with your kids. My youngest son helped me frame and finish a basement in Illinois. My daughter helped me work on our vehicles. The youngest son called me to tell me he'd bought a t/s to finish some work on the new house they'd had built. My daughter has a college degree in automotive mechanics.......those hours in the shop with your kids can have an influence too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Smile

That's just about as cute as it gets, Tom!