Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite Beaded Bowl

Mesquite Beaded Bowl

I wanted to play with my D-Way beading tools tonight, so I turned this mesquite bowl and beaded the rim and foot. I really like how it turned out.
    The more I use the D-Way beading tools, the more I love them! I'm really liking the little teardrop tool too, works great for cleaning up details.
    The bowl is 9" x 3" with just a coat of DO so far.

PICT0003.JPGPICT0001-001.JPGPICT0002-001.JPGPICT0005.JPGPICT0004-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Some nice work there Kathy!!! I agree with you on the DWay beading tool. The more you use it, the more you are going to like it.

That's a gorgeous bowl Kathy! I really like the work you have been doing, this one is no exception. It looks like you have the beading tools pretty much figured out. I really like the undercut rim on the outside, and the bead for a foot. I really need to get around to ordering the D way tools. The teardrop looks like the best of the bunch.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

very nice, beading is a nice touch

Very good use of the beads!!! Nice touch, Kathy.

great wood! great details
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The nice clean details just add to a bowl that already had a very nice form. Good job!

Very nice - clean - work! Sure is some pretty wood!

I like the bead at the foot and rim but am not a big fan of beads on the rim. When I first started turning bowls, I turned one with small Vs in the rim and thought it was a wonderful thing! My wife, Colleen, however let me know that the Vs (or beads) on the rim would be extremely hard to clean... so I haven't been a big fan of Vs or beads on that location ever since.

Looking forward to what you create next!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful. I like this design a lot. I also really like yr decision to put a little 'cream' in your coffee. Well played!

Kathy, i was just on the d-way site. Couple q's about yr beading tools:

1) Do you sharpen them like a scraper? Or is there some kind of rolling?
    2) What does the teardrop look like? Do you have any close ups of that?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-18-2012 at 8:52 AM.

10. Great shape on the bowl and I think you have done well........I think the rim is a bit on the busy side, but it looks great. Steve's better half Colleen may have a valid point on the cleaning issue. That sure is a purdy bowl Kathy!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice job Kathy. Looks like to have the hang of the new tools.

Very nice top to bottom!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Kathy that is one pretty both. If for decorative use it is great but agree that the beads on the top of the rim are hard to clean for a utility bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Really nice lookig bowl! I love the beading on the rim and the one at the foot. Might have to look into getting those tools.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Kathy
    VERY Beautiful bowl I think you should keep the finish like it is,the soft look and the shape and wood go great together.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.