Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dehumidifier made in USA

I have had a similar problem of burning out dehumidifiers every year or two. After going through three, and on the recommendation of someone on this forum, I looked into and then bought an Oasis brand dehumidifier. I think it was in the $400 range. It has lasted 5 years so far. The other thing I like about it is that it's only control is a manual knob. So if the power is disrupted or it is unplugged, you don't have to reset it. Worth looking into. Not sure if they are the same now as they were 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DelPorte View Post
    I have had a similar problem of burning out dehumidifiers every year or two. After going through three, and on the recommendation of someone on this forum, I looked into and then bought an Oasis brand dehumidifier. I think it was in the $400 range. It has lasted 5 years so far. The other thing I like about it is that it's only control is a manual knob. So if the power is disrupted or it is unplugged, you don't have to reset it. Worth looking into. Not sure if they are the same now as they were 5 years ago.

I looked on Amazon for current comments from owners of the Oasis, and here is the link to those:

https://www.amazon.com/Oasis-D-165-HG-GST-Commercial-Dehumidifier/product-reviews/B005E1DB4M/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_4?ie=UTF8&reviewerType =avp_only_reviews&pageNumber=4

While comments aren't all positive, in total it reads better than the low cost models.

Also interesting is that it's control simplicity, its overall shape, and the evaporator coil (viewed from rear) all look very similar to my 36-year-old Emerson Quiet Cool dehumidifier that only recently gave me problems. It is mid-priced at about $650, but if the recharging of my Emerson doesn't hold up, I'll probably buy this unless I find something better in the meantime.

Thank again for sharing information. It is very helpful.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quinn View Post
    From the outside, that looks a lot like the Soleus, which is one of the ones that has short life. See http://www.homedepot.com/p/Soleus-Ai...kaAopdEALw_wcB

But if you can get a Costco lifetime warranty, that might be a good solution.If it fails in 3 years, does the lifetime Costco warranty extend to thereplacement unit(s)?

My first one failed after 6 years. I ordered another online and took the failed unit back to my local Costco. A Whynter CSR told me they should last at least 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    My first one failed after 6 years. I ordered another online and took the failed unit back to my local Costco. A Whynter CSR told me they should last at least 8 years.
    Sounds a lot better than the Soleus.

I read through this entire thread and don't think there is any mention about efficiency. The reports fall into 2 categories, old designs that have lasted over 20 years, or new models that barely last a year.

Somewhere about 15-20 years ago, all household refrigerators needed to be re-designed to meet higher efficiency standards. The changes were fairly dramatic. Home air conditioning had similar efficiency requirements added recently. Aren't the guts of a dehumidifier very similar to a refrigerator or air conditioner. All of the old (and still running) dehumidifiers must be using a lot more electricity than the newer ones. Is this a factor for anyone?

Steve