Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier made in USA

Dehumidifier made in USA

Well my "major name brand" dehumidifier that was made in China lasted one season. The manufacturer wanted to buy it back from me. They seem to be regretting their decision to use a contract manufacturer in China.
    I could not resist saying "you are only as good as your last product" but the customer service representative beat me to it.

So I began the search for a quality made in USA dehumidifier that will last more than a single season. I found a Aprilaire standalone dehumidifier made by some hard working people in Wisconsin. It is backed by a five year warranty and given this company's reputation I have reason to believe that they will stand behind it. The unit I picked out is model 1710A. It looks well made and started right up and is working it's magic. Not low cost but it is made in USA and hopefully built to last.

Buying "Made in the USA" does not automatically mean quality. We make junk here too. It is true that products made here are often better quality.

I really hope it works out for you. I've been replacing dehumidifiers in my shop every 18 months or so. At this point, I'm afraid to buy anything higher end because I haven't seen any reviews on anything lasting more than 18 months these days. I remember that you used to buy a dehumidifier and it lasted 10 or 15 years, like air conditioners. When my new one dies in a year or so, I will look up Aprilaire but it really needs to last the full 5 years with no problems whatsoever to be break even with the junk I'm currently buying. I'd actually never heard of them. I'm going to have to do some research over the next year!

I'd venture to say that it's the strive to reduce material cost that is causing these things to die so quickly, namely the construction of the coils. My father in law just had one die on him, and it was freon loss. I could have added freon, but without finding and fixing the leak, it would have only been a short lived bandaid fix. I'd say the copper tubing used in the coils is the bare minimum to handle the system pressures, the other thing I would suspect is the solder being used to construct them.
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 05-19-2012 at 11:16 PM.

You may want to try using an AC Unit in the DH mode. I have a portable Penquino AC unit, and a portable Sharp AC unit that both have DH modes that work pretty well.

The DH in the basement is something called a Dynasty 25. It's been down there for close to twenty years and it still works just fine. Haven't a clue who actually makes it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Interesting... I've been using a small Whirlpool in the basement for the past 5 years without issue. I don't know how long it was used before I set it back up, but I believe it belonged to my wife's father. An oldie but a goodie...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post

So I began the search for a quality made in USA dehumidifier that will last more than a single season. I found a Aprilaire standalone dehumidifier made by some hard working people in Wisconsin. It is backed by a five year warranty and given this company's reputation I have reason to believe that they will stand behind it. The unit I picked out is model 1710A. It looks well made and started right up and is working it's magic. Not low cost but it is made in USA and hopefully built to last.
    Please let us know how it works out -- the DH from Sears has not worked out for me -- hopefully this'll be a good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Interesting... I've been using a small Whirlpool in the basement for the past 5 years without issue. I don't know how long it was used before I set it back up, but I believe it belonged to my wife's father. An oldie but a goodie...

Certainly seems to be a pattern here. Older ones working for many years, and new ones that quit after about a year to 18 months. The big question is whether it's just poor quality for the sake of making them cheap, or planned obsolescence.
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 05-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.

I haven't even thought about a dehumidifier in years, but I mentioned this to my folks. They have the same one going in the basement, working fine. They don't remember when they got it, but seeing as I always remember emptying the same one, I'm going to say, like Mike's, it's been running at least twenty years, if not more.

We bought a dehumidifier when we were first married and it has worked every year for 41 years.

Consumers mostly shop on price over all else these days so manufacturers are happy to comply by cheapening things up. The manufacturer wins because they can sell another one when the first one dies. The interesting thing is there are a good number of manufacturers who still make stuff that lasts and they stay in business without selling customers a new item every year or two.

I prefer to pay a little more up front to get something that will last. The problem is how do I know which items are made to last? Sometime the expensive product is just expensive and lasts no longer than the cheap product.

The Aprilaire has a five year warranty and they state the product was designed for a 15 year service life. I would much rather buy a well made product that lasts than some disposable item that needs frequent replacement.

My first dehumidifier lasted 20 years. It was an Emerson Quiet Cool. When it failed I bought the chinese made unit that lasted one year. Somehow I can't believe that replacing a $200 unit every year is a good use of money. So instead I spent $1049 on one I believe will last for 15+ years. Stay tuned.....

It's not a good use of money, but I've read nothing but bad things about every dehumidifier I could think to purchase, and some of the lower end ones just outright refuse to honor their warranties. Even the higher end ones had very mixed reviews. I do hope you found a good one as I could certainly use a good one that lasts 15 years. It seems like even larger appliances are disposable these days. I mean, unless you buy a brand like Miele, does anyone seriously expect their washing machine to last more than a few years without requiring some major service? How about a wall air conditioner? Doesn't work...oh well, just throw it out.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 05-22-2012 at 9:05 AM.

You could move to Utah. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    It's not a good use of money, but I've read nothing but bad things about every dehumidifier I could think to purchase, and some of the lower end ones just outright refuse to honor their warranties. Even the higher end ones had very mixed reviews. I do hope you found a good one as I could certainly use a good one that lasts 15 years. It seems like even larger appliances are disposable these days. I mean, unless you buy a brand like Miele, does anyone seriously expect their washing machine to last more than a few years without requiring some major service? How about a wall air conditioner? Doesn't work...oh well, just throw it out.
    John;

I have a Maytag washer and gas drier that I purchased in 1988. Both are still going strong, look great, and have required very little service. Proudly made in USA in Iowa.

I also own a SAAB that I have had for 20 years with 201,000 miles on it. Still going strong and still fun to drive.

I have a John Deere lawn tractor made in 1988 that still looks like new and runs like a champ. Back in 1988 when I bought it, it seemed like a lot of money, but after all these years of providing good service and requiring very little maintenance it seems like a bargain. I know it saved me a lot of money not having to pay a lawn service to cut my grass and blow the snow out of my driveway.

I like to buy things that are well made and then take good care of them to make them last. I just hope that there are some companies out there who are intent on building products that can reliably go the distance.

The quality is remembered long after the cost is forgotten......and you can quote me on that one!!!!!!!