Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: grain filler

I agree with you on the por o pac Alan, and there were many times when i did use it and colored it with either pigments in oil or japan colors, there were times where i had to match a baker or other finish where the pores were only partially filled and it especially fit the bill for those occasions. When i did double fill, i found that thinning the first coat out more than the secnd gave me better end resulst, have you tried that? I also made a mistake on the citric acid for plaster, that should have been 0.1 not .01, sorry.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon pettit View Post
    I agree with you on the por o pac Alan, and there were many times when i did use it and colored it with either pigments in oil or japan colors, there were times where i had to match a baker or other finish where the pores were only partially filled and it especially fit the bill for those occasions. When i did double fill, i found that thinning the first coat out more than the secnd gave me better end resulst, have you tried that? I also made a mistake on the citric acid for plaster, that should have been 0.1 not .01, sorry.
    I'll have to try that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

flour/sawdust works great for me in most cases. Can't even tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Sheldon - you're welcome my friend!

The stuff was half coffee, half Slivovitz!
    I served (a LOT - five tours) in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia in the '90s with the Canadian Forces.

We used to call slivovitz "Slip In The Ditch"!!

For the original poster - I've always used Plaster of Paris for grain filler in Red Oak. BUT - I use a water borne finish - I'm not sure how it would work with an oil based finish.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.