Thread: veneer tape removal

veneer tape removal

I've got 10 20x90 panels completed that are multi-part veneer and have a lot of tape to remove. Not too keen on sanding it off and scraping is taking a 30 to 40 minutes per panel. Any good ideas to speed up the process?

thanks

Look for somebody with a wide-belt sander.

You probably know this technique, but I spray the panel with water and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then the veneer tape peels off easily. Only problem is where the tape is multiple layers thick. That takes another spray of water.

Paul Schurch uses a hand held belt sander to remove veneer tape but I'm afraid to use that technique. He sands until there's just a bit of tape showing then uses water to remove the rest. I'm sure if you're experienced with that technique it works fine, but I'd probably ruin one or two panels learning.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-21-2012 at 9:28 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used to use wet sponge to wipe off the tape. Never had a problem - although as previously noted this may need to be repeated multiple times if you have sections of layered veneer tape.

Then I got a 24" drum sander and haven't looked back.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.