Thread: Modifying a Westport Chair for Indoor use. A Question?

Modifying a Westport Chair for Indoor use. A Question?

All,

I am looking at building the Westport Chair as featured in the latest issue of "This Old House" Magazine, but for indoor use as a reading chair in a home office. ( http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...587884,00.html ) I figure if it is really comfortable outside, then inside, with a cushioned seat it would be good as well. The wide arms will negate the need for a side table, for a glass, etc. I am think of using QSWO for the legs, back and arms, and rift saw white oak for the remainder.

My Question is: How far would the seat height need to be dropped in order to put a proper foam based interior seat cushion in this chair, if that is a 5-6" height foam was used? (Think the height and style of a seat cushion that you would use for a Morris Chair.)

Thanks,

Perry

It will depend on the hardness of the cushion but assume the cushion will compress to half its thickness when someone is sitting on it. Then you'll want to reduce the wooden seat height by 2-1/2 to 3 inches.

If you do this, how will you make the adjustment? If you simply cut 3 inches off the bottom of the legs, the read legs may not extend back far enough to provide good tipping resistance. You might change the angle of the seat and just lower the front although that will mean you'll also change the angle on the back rest. One small change can have a big impact on the whole thing.

If I were considering building this chair and making that change, I would start by making a SketchUp model of it so I could figure out the changes. I'd draw it up for you if you aren't in a rush. Several jobs waiting for attention fist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    It will depend on the hardness of the cushion but assume the cushion will compress to half its thickness when someone is sitting on it. Then you'll want to reduce the wooden seat height by 2-1/2 to 3 inches.

If you do this, how will you make the adjustment? If you simply cut 3 inches off the bottom of the legs, the read legs may not extend back far enough to provide good tipping resistance. You might change the angle of the seat and just lower the front although that will mean you'll also change the angle on the back rest. One small change can have a big impact on the whole thing.

If I were considering building this chair and making that change, I would start by making a SketchUp model of it so I could figure out the changes. I'd draw it up for you if you aren't in a rush. Several jobs waiting for attention fist.
    I was going to reduce the seat height, not the leg length. I was thinking that if I could figure out how much is enough to reduce the seat height by then I could model the chair up out of foam core or cardboard and then use the model parts as templates.

Your offer to SketchUp a model is graciously accepted.

I hope you're patient. Here's a start anyway. On the left the seat is at the height specified in the plan. On the right, I lowered it 2". You can see the effect on the back legs. The back rest will need to move aft a bit, too. (I haven't changed that here. The dimensions of the back will also change where it fits between the back legs.

More when time permits.

I hope you're patient.
    Just call me Job, when it comes to patience.

Hi Job,

You know, you could actually stop waiting for me and get to building. Lay out the back leg per the plans from TOH and move the top edge (shown at 18-1/4" long) down 2". Cut just a hair under 3/4" off the back edge of the seat and you're on your way. Those are the only changes. The seat is quite deep already but since the back angles backward, the sitter regains the 3/4" when they are sitting on the cushion.

On the other hand, it probably won't be too long, now.

Here you go.

This should be all you need since you have the rest of the plan.

By the way, someone pointed out to me that it looks a bit narrow. With the backrest being less than 14" wide, I kind of agree. I added 3" to the width here.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-28-2012 at 9:02 AM.

Here you go.
    Thanks, my patience paid off...I too thought the width looked narrow. I still may pattern one up out of foam core to use as a template and 'see' what the original width looks like and then modify the width from there.

I am a 'slow' worker, but as I do along I try to remember to post photos.

Perry

I saw a photo of a guy sitting in a Westport chair. There was something about the guy weighing in at about 230 or something. It looked to me as if he was wedged in pretty tight. In thinking about it, though, 3 inches might be a little much. Maybe an inch or inch and a half would be fine.