Thread: Morning Glory on Trellis Marquetry

Morning Glory on Trellis Marquetry

Here's a couple of marquetry panels I'm working on right now. I'll cut them to size, add some banding and a border, and glue them to a substrate - then finish. So there's still a lot of work to do yet.

This was a "difficult" project. I did three revisions of the design, so just the drawing phase took quite a while. Then I had to figure out what veneers to use (color, figure, etc.). I went through several combinations before deciding on the wenge for the background. It was moderately difficult to cut out and difficult to put together. Most of the time, you're fitting the design elements into the background so you have some guidance as to where things go. On this one, all I had was a bunch of pieces after I was finished cutting it out. You start the assembly of a panel like this in the middle. But when you get to the outside, you can find that pieces won't fit, or will have big gaps. It's the problem of "cumulative error."

The two panels were cut out at the same time. That is, sufficient veneer was stacked to be able to make two panels. The only real difference between the two is the wood used for the trellis. I used a light wood (actually bleached) on one and oak on the other (which one do you prefer?). The background is wenge and will finish fairly dark.

One panel will be used on the tray table project I'm working on right now (about five tray tables, all with a different design) and I'll use the other panel to make a serving tray.

Anyway, it'll be a while before I can finish things but I'll post a picture when I do finish.

Mike

[What you see here is the glue face, but I flipped the image in Photoshop so you can see what the show face will look like.]

Marquetry morning glory 1.jpgMarquetry morning glory 2.jpg

Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-21-2012 at 6:57 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike that is beautiful. My garden morning glories, while much bushier, don't have the tone or definition yours do.
    Nicely done sir.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Mike that is beautiful. My garden morning glories, while much bushier, don't have the tone or definition yours do.
    Nicely done sir.
    Thanks, Mickey. Doing all the flowers and leaves that would be on a real trellis would be a lot of work. This is sort of an artistic interpretation of morning glory flowers on a trellis. As an art teacher once said, "If you want an exact representation, take a picture. What I want is your interpretation of the subject."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very cool, Mike!

Mike,
    Very well done. The flowers, and especially the leaves, seem to pop out to you. I also really like the shading effect on the trellis pieces giving the illusion of one piece going behind the other.
    When looking at the smaller images, my first thought was that I liked the lighter trellis. Flipping back and forth between the larger images, it's not as clear to me which I prefer, but I think I would still give the lighter one the edge. I have a feeling it might be even harder looking at them in person.

Great job. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Tom