Thread: Glue or not

Glue or not

I was looking for input on whether to glue these slats as a group and then glue them into the frame or just leave everything floating or glue the group of slats leave it loose in the frame. I can't decide which is my best option and I have never built anything like this. It's a small wall display cabinet for my grandsons leggo figures.
    LeggoCabinetExploded.jpg

I would glue the slats together. I'd probably start with the horizontal ones glued into the frame and then glue in the vertical ones. That'll allow you to deal with one slat at a time.

Does it have a back? If so, how will that be installed?

That sounds like a good plan. I will have a rabbit in the back to allow for hardboard or something. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm open to sugestions

Now I'm thinking I'll use a dado, drawer bottom style. I guess a mirror would look best for the back but then I'd need to make it removable. I'm thinking as I'm typing now. I could use the hardboard in a rabbit and attach a thin mirror with double side tape. Good thing I don't have any shop time right now. I need to finish this design.

I agree with the glueing recommendation. I am re-assembling a spice rack with similar construction that was not glued. It would fall apart at very inconvenient moments.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well that pretty much cinches it for me. Glue it is, on slat at a time.
    Any ideas for fancying it up a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I agree with the glueing recommendation. I am re-assembling a spice rack with similar construction that was not glued. It would fall apart at very inconvenient moments.

I would not glue the lattice pieces to each other; that'll just cause frustrating cleanup. I would definitely glue the ends of the slats into the frame dado's. You only need a little dab in the center to keep it from moving around. Again, my mind is on the cleanup of the glue in all those corners.

I would definitely prefinish the whole thing before assembly.

Yr a nice granddad!

I'll add to my comment that my spice rack problem had no glue at all. Either glueing in the ends or glueing all the parts together would have solved the problems.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

+1 on everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I would not glue the lattice pieces to each other; that'll just cause frustrating cleanup. I would definitely glue the ends of the slats into the frame dado's. You only need a little dab in the center to keep it from moving around. Again, my mind is on the cleanup of the glue in all those corners.

I would definitely prefinish the whole thing before assembly.

Yr a nice granddad!

Well this box is finally done. I discarded the first attempt and got things fitting better. Instead of gluing the slats in, I prefinished them and just put them in place. I'm very pleased with the outcome and I thank you all for your input. I can't believe how much I learned with this seemingly simple project. Of course, I would do it different if I build any more. I would probably install the mirror so that it slides out easier. Right now I have it siliconed in. This should be going up on the wall pretty soon.
    IMAG0232.jpgIMAG0229.jpgIMAG0230.jpgIMAG0231.jpg

That came out really nice. Great idea...Nice wood also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    That came out really nice. Great idea...Nice wood also.
    Thanks. I've been saving that board. I found it Home Depot a few years ago. Never know what you might find and there was no way I was leaving without it.