Thread: Refrigerated air dryers.

Refrigerated air dryers.

My old Hankison HT finally gave up and needs replacing. Does a 5 hp 17 cfm piston compressor need a high temp dryer that allows for 185 degree inlet temperatures or is a lower temp model acceptable? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    My old Hankison HT finally gave up and needs replacing. Does a 5 hp 17 cfm piston compressor need a high temp dryer that allows for 185 degree inlet temperatures or is a lower temp model acceptable? Dave
    Dave,

That depends on whether you install the dryer on the compressor outlet or the tank outlet.

I built an aftercooler for my 5hp 14.7 cfm (175 psi) I-R and it's compressor discharge temperature is way above 185.. You can feel the heat radiate from the brass fittings.

Before I installed it though I ran the compressor non-stop for 90 minutes while using a pneumatic sander and the tank discharge temperature never exceeded 100F.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I'm running from the tank- 80 gal. Two stage set at 150 at the compressor than regulated down to 90 for the lines. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I was told that it depends on whether you have an after-cooler or not.

Dave,
    Usually the refrigerated dryers are there to remove moisture. I've only used the larger ones after screw compressors that had aftercoolers (water or air-cooled). Generally speaking, the higher your inlet temp to the dryer, the higher your dewpoint in the air on the outlet of the dryer.

I have a smaller compressor at home. The outlet between the compressor and tank is so hot you can't touch it. However, the tank is usually cool/ambient.

Mike