Thread: VFD or New Motor for Drill Press?

VFD or New Motor for Drill Press?

So, I was fortunate enough to win a Powermatic 1150 (circa 1967) for a good price in an online auction. It's got the Reeves drive variable speed control and currently has a 3 phase motor -- original as far as I can tell. Of course, I only have single phase power in my home shop. I know many folks implement a VFD with 3 phase drill presses, but I don't really need the variable speed control of the VFD since the press already has that capability. The other option, of course, is to swap out the motor for a single phase. I expect this would be a more expensive option for a quality American-made motor. Other than price, are there are factors to consider in choosing a VFD or a new motor?

Thanks,
    Tom

I'm not a fan of reeves drive speed control. They become loose over time and wobbly. I have a few 3-phase machines that I power with VFD's.
    Drill press is definitely one of the machines that would benefit a lot from 3-phase and VFD's, JMHO.

I just bought a Powermatic 1150A with the variable speed and single phase motor. If I had yours, I would get a VFD. Then you can get slower slow and faster fast speeds if you want them.

BTW, my reeves drive runs smooth and rather quiet.

John

I say neither -- find another 3 phase motor and build a cheap phase converter. I have less than $100 into mine, including switches, relays, capacitors, and the motor.

Very few woodworking machines need the variable speed a VFD provides, and one phase converter can run many machines. A 5 hp or larger phase converter will open a world of cheap, high quality machines.

I would keep the motor and drive and purchase a VFD to use as a fixed frequency converter.

The reeves drive is far superior to using a VFD for wide range speed changes as the reeves remains a constant horsepower drive as opposed to constant torque (declining power) with a VFD.

Regards, Rod.

My inclination would be to keep the motor and drive and purchase the VFD. The variables that affect cost are the hp required, and need for a Nema enclosure. The 1150 from that era (see original manual) typically had either 1/2 or 3/4 hp for the 3-phase models. A new VFD of that size is very reasonably priced unless it requires a Nema enclosure. VFDs can, depending on motor capability, provide emergency stop. I am totally unqualified to talk about that capability, but if it is of interest to you, perhaps others are (or look at Practical Machinist).

Ok, it sounds like the consensus is to go with the VFD. I can just set it and forget it, and use the Reeves drive for speed control ... and if that ever craps out then I have the VFD as a backup. Thanks.

Once you get the VFD, my guess is that you will use both the Reeves and VFD combined; for a very slow speed (occasionally).

What HP is the motor?
    I have a spare VFD that needs a home..

Brett -- Thanks for the offer, but I've already got a VFD for the press. I'm sure you can find another worthy recipient for yours!