Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dust Collector - One 6" Intake VS Two 4" Intakes

Michael, I run a straight radial as a BI or BC tops out at lower pressure and I wanted more velocity without changing pipe. The straight blade is the only real self cleaning blade and usually used on the dirty side as you stated. They aren't as efficient at low SP but deal much better with higher pressure. they do howl though. The single baggers used to use those, but it appears they have moved to BI or in HF case whatever they have. Dave

Who knows why it is designed the way it is. I seriously doubt it's a QC issue. It's a product of contract manufacturing anyway, who knows who really designed the impeller that way and why. Every picture, or youtube video that shows the impeller in these units that I've seen are just like my original.

I'll have access to equipment to check the flow in a couple weeks when my brother changes jobs and is working here locally. He'll be staying with us during the week, and heading back on weekends till he is out of his apartment where he is now, and gets a new place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Who knows why it is designed the way it is. I seriously doubt it's a QC issue. It's a product of contract manufacturing anyway, who knows who really designed the impeller that way and why. Every picture, or youtube video that shows the impeller in these units that I've seen are just like my original.

I'll have access to equipment to check the flow in a couple weeks when my brother changes jobs and is working here locally. He'll be staying with us during the week, and heading back on weekends till he is out of his apartment where he is now, and gets a new place.
    Kevin, your Rikon blades are curved in the opposite direction from the HF fan and are the correct design for your unit. The HF fan was not. You may see pictures and videos of fans that are Backward inclined but forward inclined impellers are not used for DC purposes. It would be great if other HF owners chimed in so we would know if your situation was unusual or if they are all like that. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    It would be great if other HF owners chimed in so we would know if your situation was unusual or if they are all like that. Dave
    Umm, like I said, EVERY HF impeller I've seen pictures of, or video of, are just like my original impeller. I've seen nothing that supports my original impeller as being a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Umm, like I said, EVERY HF impeller I've seen pictures of, or video of, are just like my original impeller. I've seen nothing that supports my original impeller as being a fluke.
    It wouldn't surprise me if all of them are backwards..
    I think I have seen this referred to on other posts.

Joe and Kevin: Linked to this thread from a thread in Lumberjocks. It is interesting stuff. I am interested in how your dust collectors are performing now, about a year after you posted about upgrading your impellers to the Rikon. Are you getting all the results you hoped for, none of them or beyond your wildest expectations? Would you do it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Here's a picture of mine (boy, had to dig to find the picture of it):
    Attachment 232938
    Sweet! That's exactly what I'm needing to do. This will allow me to use that Rikon replacement fan on my HF and go straight to 6".

Where do you guys find the Rikon replacement? Might you have a part number?

I have just tried to buy the Rikon impeller for my HF. They will not sell it without a serial number from a Rikon 2 HP model. I really would like to try this, so if anyone could send a PM with the proper serial number, I sure would appreciate it.