Cermark on Brick?

I read this on the Cermark site:

CerMark Tape for Brick Applications
    Did you know the CerMark Tape you use to create black en-
    graving on metal using a Co2 laser is also great for marking
    clay bricks? The heat energy of the laser will fuse, or therm-
    ally bond the CerMark resulting in a very permanent, black
    engraving bonded to the clay brick.

Has anyone tried this? And is it true you can only use the tape with high power lasers? I only have a 35w Epilog Mini - I wonder if it's worth buying the tape.

~ dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

The tape is very expensive. I wonder if it has something to make it absorb the layer more than spraying it on?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I tried the blue cermark on a red clay brick......the parts that I lasered permaently stuck, but looked black (not blue) and the unlasered parts could not be cleaned off........which is probably why you can only use the tape.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve was that the metal Cermark or a different version? I wonder if you could spray it on a "transfer sheet"
    the tape that to the brick....Has any one tried firing Cermark in a kiln?
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

I've put bricks and stones in our laser and they mark anyway. If you use enough power the surface bubbles to produce an interesting glass like effect with some stones, depending on the inclusions can be quite interesting, but just messing around with stuff off the beach. Not got around to getting any Cermark yet.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

Quote Originally Posted by john banks View Post
    I've put bricks and stones in our laser and they mark anyway. If you use enough power the surface bubbles to produce an interesting glass like effect with some stones, depending on the inclusions can be quite interesting, but just messing around with stuff off the beach. Not got around to getting any Cermark yet.
    John,
    What kind of speeds can you get lasering brick? I know it can be done with enough wattage, but I haven't seen anyone talk about speed.

Vector marking at 50mm/s gave a good mark on most things from the beach, including fragments of red clay colored brick. Attached are two pictures, 1 is rastered, I think about 200mm/s, 2 is vectored quite slowly which made it poorly defined but produced a green glass type appearance. Just messing about really. 1 looks quite good in the flesh, excuse the quick iPhone photos and messing around with our logo.
    1.jpg2.jpg
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

I've engraved clay bricks with my 60 watt laser but it's a very slow process at 10mm a second & 100% power results however are very good. With gemstones I've found that Jasper engraves beautifully at 200mm/Sec + 60% power, results are an almost carved effect. I've even managed to cut holes for chains or split rings for necklaces with the Jasper by doing several passes & adjusting the focus each time. Interesting about the Cermark, I might try that with the spray over the weekend, it sort of makes sense though because I believe the Cermark is a ceramic based formular.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cox View Post
    I've engraved clay bricks with my 60 watt laser but it's a very slow process at 10mm a second & 100% power results however are very good. With gemstones I've found that Jasper engraves beautifully at 200mm/Sec + 60% power, results are an almost carved effect. I've even managed to cut holes for chains or split rings for necklaces with the Jasper by doing several passes & adjusting the focus each time. Interesting about the Cermark, I might try that with the spray over the weekend, it sort of makes sense though because I believe the Cermark is a ceramic based formular.

Steve, if you are just doing text some have had success with having multiple contour hairlines and vectoring
    to cut down on the time.
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

No experience with brick, but I occassionally fire the LCM6044 on glass in a kiln. The color and detail holds up very well to full fusing temperatures approx. 1500 F +/-25 degres for the glass I work with.

- Al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.5 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (71.9 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (69.1 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (80.7 KB, 15 views)