Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build a cloths drying rack?

How to build a cloths drying rack?

I am thinking about building a cloths drying wrack,

Consider:
    http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...87306874068748
    http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...146140#1146140

There is not much more than round dowels and some straight pieces of wood set so that the entire thing can move as an accordian. How are the downels secured so that they do not pull out, yet things can obviously move about.

I've bought these before. They (IMHO) stink. They sag and can't take much weight and look bad in short order.
    I bought a wall mounted drying rack from Lee Valley that's miles better. Consider that as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I am thinking about building a cloths drying wrack,
    .. snip ..
    How are the downels secured so that they do not pull out, yet things can obviously move about.
    Screws. Threads in tight, heads in oversize holes

You attach the dowel to one of the legs at each connection. Either the inside, or outside, but not both, and not one of each. The dowels are the joints.
    Glue would do it. A brad for more strength.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My wife is a big fan of these racks, but she is partial to one she got while living in japan. Looks a little like this one:

http://goodideasforlife.com/products...-clothes-dryer

The nicest I have seen (in terms of robustness and functionality) was in a shop in Italy. A 'little' bit like this one:

http://www.wayfair.com/Foppapedretti...2&PiID=6912802

Im with Prashun on the accordion style designs - havent had great experience with them.

(and the reason Im interested in hearing what you build is, that the 20+ year old one we use from Japan is ready for a replacement. I have a choice of trying to make a replacement, or brushing off the passport.......)

I don't know, my wife buys those in Walmart for, like $15.00. Just my $.02, but that's not how I want to spend my woodworking time. The key to selecting a project is to find something that you can take some pride in when finished, not copy a $40.00 item that will cost you $25.00 and three hours of you time. Please don't be offended, I'm just shooting off my month.
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 05-23-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Richard

I built a ladder/stool for my Wife to use around the house, instead of climbing on chairs. Could have bought one for $30.
    I made it out of walnut, and it took 2 weeks to build.
    Why not buy one? Pride. Mine and hers. I did a good job, and she is proud of having it.

Go to Walmart if you will, but some of us take pride in what we make.
    All of us aren't exactly in the business to make money. It's a hobby for some.

0712091844.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Well, I didn't want anybody to take my post wrong. Building a drying rack is fine, I would hope that it would be redesigned with some personal touches to make it something to be proud of. It's just sometimes we get caught up in the mentality that we should build anything out of wood instead of buying it because that's what we can do. If Andrew took it wrong, I apologize. Myk, that's my point exactly, you couldn't have bought that ladder/stool for $30.00. You took an idea and worked with it. You should be proud of that, it's functional, looks like it's well designed and looks like it's well constructed.

Once again. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, wasn't my intent.
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 05-23-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Well, I didn't want anybody to take my post wrong. Building a drying rack is fine, I would hope that it would be redesigned with some personal touches to make it something to be proud of. It's just sometimes we get caught up in the mentality that we should build anything out of wood instead of buying it because that's what we can do. If Andrew took it wrong, I apologize. Myk, that's my point exactly, you couldn't have bought that ladder/stool for $30.00. You took an idea and worked with it. You should be proud of that, it's functional, looks like it's well designed and looks like it's well constructed.

Once again. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, wasn't my intend.
    totally agree with you richard on this project but by all means go for it andrew if that's what you want to do!

Any time we build ANYTHING that the better half likes - it's a worthwhile project!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I've bought these before. They (IMHO) stink. They sag and can't take much weight and look bad in short order.
    I bought a wall mounted drying rack from Lee Valley that's miles better. Consider that as an option.
    I can't disagree.... The Lee Valley one looks nice. If I can find a place to mount it, I might buy one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You attach the dowel to one of the legs at each connection. Either the inside, or outside, but not both, and not one of each. The dowels are the joints.
    Glue would do it. A brad for more strength.
    Oh, yes, brilliant..... I can hit myself on the head now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    My wife is a big fan of these racks, but she is partial to one she got while living in japan. Looks a little like this one:
    (and the reason Im interested in hearing what you build is, that the 20+ year old one we use from Japan is ready for a replacement. I have a choice of trying to make a replacement, or brushing off the passport.......)
    I think that my wife became partial to them while she lived in Japan as well. I found this posting very interesting....

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/03/diy-...ying-rack.html

I might be able to make something like that work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    I don't know, my wife buys those in Walmart for, like $15.00. Just my $.02, but that's not how I want to spend my woodworking time. The key to selecting a project is to find something that you can take some pride in when finished, not copy a $40.00 item that will cost you $25.00 and three hours of you time. Please don't be offended, I'm just shooting off my month.
    Difficult to offend me with an opinion based on some level of sense :-)

My primary interest is that I don't care much for the ones that my wife does use (one of them is falling apart), so, I am considering building one. Off hand, I expect that that labor portion would be modest (apart from my lack of experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Screws. Threads in tight, heads in oversize holes
    Yes, I see how that would work.... Thanks.