Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a Hide Glue brush

How to make a Hide Glue brush

Short, sweet and to the point. What's the traditional method for making a hot hide glue brush?

I bet Joel Moskowitz would know. Maybe there's something in Stephen Shepherd's hide glue book?

from the page at TFWW about the glue brush they carry:
    The classic brush is made of white hog bristle and is bridled with a wire loop tightly bound about halfway down the length of the brush. The natural bristle really grabs the glue and allows it flow evenly so that you can apply it in even strokes. The bridle keeps the glue from saturating the entire brush, so that when the brush gets old and clogged with dried glue, you can remove the bridle, trim the bristles and you have a brush that will last twice as long.
    (Speaking of, anyone used TFWWs glue brush?)

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Short, sweet and to the point. What's the traditional method for making a hot hide glue brush?
    Well, first you have to raise yourself a hog and then................

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Well, first you have to raise yourself a hog and then................
    Do you shampoo it before the shave, or wash the bristles after the fact? And where do you get a hog-sized barber's chair?

I just use a throw away acid brush myself. Too much trouble to keep a brush clean. Of course,I don't usually make large furniture where I have to have a large brush full of glue. But then,there are always the throw away 1" Chinese brushes.

If you really don't want the hairs falling out,squirt some super glue right along the base of the hairs to cement them to the ferrule. That works well,even on better quality varnish brushes.

I have an artist's brush that I've been using for a while. I chopped it down so it was easier to handle. I love that I never actually need to clean the thing. Just a few minutes in the HHG and it turns into a brush again. My glue pot just died, though, and my backup (trusty Rival Hot Pot) is deeper so my stubby brush doesn't work anymore.

I can't get those disposable ones to work for me. Even using the superglue trick, I'm always pulling hairs out of my glue ups. Maybe I'm just buying "cheap" disposable brushes? I don't know.

I use cheapo brush as well. Coarse hair works really well. Not sure what mine is, it's almost spiky coarse, but gets very nicely soft once in glue and very easy to wash it.

You might give these that Joel M. sells a try. They work way better than acid brushes, and the price is right:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//...pt:ScreenWidth()

Another vote for acid brushes. Work great, cheap as heck. No need to get too fancy with it. In a pinch, I have used a scrap of wood with the end split a few hundred times to make "hairs". Works ok, but not for long (the glue sets and sticks the hairs together again).
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I picked up some of Joel's brushes, David. I just ordered 10lbs of hide glue through him a day or two ago...I wish I had thought of it then. There's a maker in Germany that makes a very nice glue brush, but shipping and duties to the US is absolutely ridiculous. There doesn't really appear to be anyone that makes a high quality glue brush in the US.

I know people like the acid brushes but I REALLY hate them, especially for hide glue and not just because they shed. There's something to be said for having quality bristles that really load up with glue. Not only does it mean quicker spreading, but all that glue is a large thermal mass that stays hot longer....so you spread faster to begin with because there's more glue, and the glue that's put down is hotter. There's no reason to toss the brushes, or even clean them, as far as I can tell. When you take it out it hardens up. When you put it back in the next time, it softens and is good as new. Maybe I'm the only one that never really cleans my brush? I've been using the same brush for over a year and it's never been cleaned.

My hide glue also seems to last for MONTHS in the fridge....not that I ever use it after storing it that long, but occasionally I find some I forgot about, and it's never moldy nor does it seem to degrade in any way. Maybe I'm just very lucky with hide glue.

Anyone have experience with a glue spoon? TFWW sells one; it's interesting. I don't think I do anything large enough to warrant one, but they're neat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    My hide glue also seems to last for MONTHS in the fridge....not that I ever use it after storing it that long, but occasionally I find some I forgot about, and it's never moldy nor does it seem to degrade in any way. Maybe I'm just very lucky with hide glue.
    I'm with you on despising the acid brushes; seems like the little buggers will shed a black fiber at just the wrong time during a glue-up. Joel's brushes are much better. I bought 5 of them (at the "bundled" price) 3 years ago, and based on the first one's longevity, I suspect I've a lifetime supply.

You've probably got very high quality hide glue if yours never gets moldy in the fridge. Hide glue is often highly contaminated with nascent bacteria and mold spores, and will grow mold quickly in the fridge.

But, for those that do have the mold problem, there's a solution. If you use a small mason jar to mix and use your hide glue, and you put the lid and sealing ring on it while it's still in the glue pot, let it set for 20-30 minutes, then tighten the sealing ring, take it out of the pot, and let it cool on the counter, you will have much less mold/bacterial growth issues in the refrigerator. The temperatures in the glue pot, while not sufficient to completely sterilize the glue & jar, are still hot enough to kill most species of bacteria and mold. So long as the jar is sealed while it is still hot, the contents will be largely bacteria & mold free and will last much longer in the refrigerator.

I just make glue ice cubes after the first cooking session. I pop ice cubes in as needed and there are hardly any left overs to chuck into the fridge for later.

The cheapo brush I use haven't shed any hair after months of use. The coarse white hair one. On the other hand, another brush I bought for shellac for quick sealing was softer and darker hair brush, shed hair left and right. I quickly chucked it away.

Usually, I use a small glue pot, but it's recently started leaking (the importer has graciously offered to repair or replace it even though it's well over a year old...good guy). That may be some of my luck. When you only mix up an ounce or two at a time, and then put it right in the fridge, it's easy to keep it fresh. Now that I have to use my Rival Hot Pot again, I have to mix up more. I think I'll pick up some ice trays and do the freezer thing. I've done it before, but not in ice trays.

I can keep hide glue about 4 days in the fridge,then it starts to stink and is time to eat it.