Thread: No more Paint Thinner in California

No more Paint Thinner in California

It's been missing from Home Depot for about a month now. They still have Mineral Spirits. What the heck is the difference?

Non, except that generally speaking, MS costs more. PT is less refined MS, costs less and stinks more. MS is a better degreaser and a more pure thinning agent.

The difference? About $4-5 a gallon. Other than that, not much. I was recently in Arizona and bought a few gallons at a Dunn Edwards there. It's labeled 'Paint Thinner' and then underneath that, '100% Mineral Spirits.' Outside of being phased out here in California, the thing that really got me was that it was $10 a gallon, even in Arizona. What's up with that? How'd it get from a couple of bucks to ten (eleven with tax)? I used to buy it and use it in place of charcoal lighter fluid. It's was a way to save from buying $6 quarts of Kingsford, which is much less refined than the thinner is. The next obvious question is why is Paint Thinner no longer available but Mineral Spirits still is? Do these regulators actually think about what they're doing or what?

I'm curious as to who exactly in this State is behind this madness? Is there anyone actually in favor of this stuff? The City of Los Angeles just passed a ban on plastic bags. I thought plastic bags were adopted to save us from 'wasting' paper bags. Back on the subject...Paint Thinner I can do without (as long as Mineral Spirits + an extra five bucks is still available). What I can't get along without are products like Waterlox, Behkol, Arm-R-Seal, and everything else that's been banned. How are we supposed to finish our wood? Ever try making shellac with 65% denatured alcohol (which, I think, is also on the way out as of the first of next year)? I ended up buying some Everclear in Arizona as well, which should do the same trick as the Behkol. The guy at the local woodworking store wasn't surprised at me buying by the armful, said California customers with full armfuls were becoming fairly common, but the guy at Bevmo was pretty surprised at my intended use for the Everclear.

And just as a disclaimer (in case anyone of a regulatory nature is reading this), I ended up drinking all of the Everclear and taking a bath in the Paint Thinner while I was still in Arizona, so there !!!
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Couldn't agree more Damon, lol, What else always get me is that all this was mainly started of air pollution from cars much more so than other industries, yet good old gasoline [another hydrocarbon] still runs as free as the wild geese. No shortage of aliphatic hydrocarbons when you go to the local auto store for gas enhancers or other such products! Need 100 cases of engine oil? no problem, want to mozy up to the pump and fill up a tanker with gasoline> just swipe your card. I see it as a way to control industry, nothing more nothing less. If you take all this away from the common man so as to him having no other choice but to rely on industry to avail to him his needs - at a substantial increase in cost, then you have the people at your mercy, at least most, i do not include myself in that pack. The same is happening nation wide with food and all else, i see nothing but chaos coming down the pike, the only hope being the states themselves taking back what was there's from the beginning.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

It is all about control. I reccomend Mark Levin's latest book, " Ameritopia."

Ive spent the last 15 years studying these thing from Plato to Locke, and also the federalist and anti federalist papers, Locke set a good example of what we are and what we needed to make a go of it here for sure, the anti federalist warned us of everything that is or has happened to date when talking of government getting out of control. They had a right to be concerned, since as unbeknownst to them they have become the prophets of the future, Our present. It is now in the hands of the several states and its citizens, if anything can be done to turn the tide. If by first the lawful act of nullification of all laws that the government has passed that were not given them authority to do so by the states as is outlined in the 10th amendment, and then if necessary as the last resort to succeed from the union and not be obliged by the unlawful laws passed to uphold such laws. If this is not done and soon, then we leave our fate to those who we have allowed to gain unauthorized powers to rule over us as feudalist entities. In other-words, we become servants to the overlords. I am sorry to have lived to see the day such is taking place, but that said, i hope in return to see the day when such as mentioned may win the day for a constitutional society such as we hoped and dreamed of may emerge from all the turmoil and be what it was intended to be from the beginning.

We have now had the time to see and experience first hand what those who went before us and warned about with dire fear as to what such powers could become. now that we know and know how it has come about, it is time to plug all the holes and spell out precisely in plain English for all to read and understand that such will never be allowed to happen again, this is the quest, no the "answer", and the only one that will give us the chance to be what our forefathers and past men of reason hoped it would be and or become.

My rant for the day, peace
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

The corridor from Los angeles to Pasadena to Riverside and San Bernardino has some of the worse pollution in the US, and yet we have taken fantastic strides in the last couple of decades. I want to thank everyone who has sacrificed some convenience so that my family and yours can breathe.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Folks, political discussion is not allowed per the SMC Terms of Service.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney