Thread: dodged a bullet time for insurance.

dodged a bullet time for insurance.

My shop is in the basement of a old building and we never had a problem with it till they screwed up the drain line when they installed the light rail. not sure why it flooded tonight besides the very heavy rains we had for a bit. The floor is not flat and it seems my shop is on the high side and I only have a little bit of material with wet bottoms. I had dropped my shop insurance when I was so slow I could not afford it or house insurance. got the house insurance back so now I can't put off the shop insurance. Sorry about the pics it is fairly dark in there. my shop is clear in back and the water did not quite make it to the door.

Steve knight
    cnc routing

you need help with the clean-up but you are a young man, I hope that the basement do have a outside door

Sorry to hear about your flood, een a little water damage can be maddening. I've been there to the tune of 30" of water in my hydraulics business some years ago. I was in shock to find out my comprehensive "cover all" business and facility insurance did not cover flood damage. I needed to have flood insurance, which at the time I knew nothing about, to have any coverage for our losses.

Assume nothing when talking to insurance providers. Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

I think there is an insurance that covers run-off/ground water and it is not as expensive as "flood insurance". I know others who have gotten this for their basement for times of heavy rains.

Thanks for the advice. I don't need flood as we are not near the river. This came from the street and a overflow pipe that never did this till they screwed up the sewer line putting in the light rail.
    The owner was there helping to clean it up. the place dies very fast and you won't be able to tell by this afternoon. The floor is so un level you get big puddles and dry islands all over and I have a nice large one in front of my shop (G) though it makes getting a heavy cart in a little fun.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

if your water pipe burst and fill your basement full of water, is that not a flood ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    if your water pipe burst and fill your basement full of water, is that not a flood ?
    Absolutely not! The moment you use the word "flood" your insurance company will not want to pay unless you have flood insurance. If the Mississippi overtops the levee and fills your basement, that's a flood.

A burst pipe and most other catastrophes with water that we encounter are "water damage". You need to be very careful about how you describe anything to do with water. The main water pipe feeding my house ruptured and some of the water followed the exterior of the pipe into my basement. This happened to a number of my neighbors as well. Those who started the conversation with their insurance companies by saying they had a flooded basement had a big problem getting coverage compared to those of us who said we had water damage.

Mike, let pretend to be farming in cranberry state, if the waters fail to flood your cranberry field and you file a report with your insurance agent, will you get pay because your fields did not flood