Thread: Shop Project: Additional Lumber Storage

Shop Project: Additional Lumber Storage

I finally-finally got started with the additional lumber storage racks in the upstairs of my shop building this weekend...something I've planned to do for, oh...about two years now. At this point, I really need to get about 1500 bd ft of air dried poplar inside "real soon now" and need a place to put it. I still have more work to do here (and not during the heat of the day!) but everything you see was built with re-claimed and gifted materials. I do need to buy some more construction material to finish up, but it's a minimum compared to what it would have cost to buy it all.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is a fine way to utilize some awkward space under the roof. Construction lumber and drywall screws is exactly what I used for my own storage rack. Made just like I like it; strong and cheap.

I would suggest that you be certain to add cross ventilation in that space so your lumber doesn't dry too quickly in the higher heat you'll get under the roof. Likewise, I would sticker every layer and tie the stack down to the rack. Otherwise, you may end up with some severe banana boards due to the heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    . Construction lumber and drywall screws is exactly what I used for my own storage rack. Made just like I like it; strong and cheap.
    Maybe cheap but, not strong!
    I would add a few Nails, drywall screws are know to shear while a framing nail will bend
    Carpe Lignum

As a rule, I "just say no" to drywall screws...for anything except drywall. For this project, basic construction uses heavy deck screws and nails from my framing nailer to "get it up", but 1/4" lag bolts with heavy washers will come into play before the rack is loaded.

Robert, I tend to use 1/4" stickers for this kind of storage to insure air flow and the space is vented.
    --

Jim, did your 1/4" stickers perhaps start life out as a sheet of ply? I'm fixin' to move my lumber inside a newly build shed, and I don't want to dead stack it right now, but was considering using either 1/8" or 1/4" masonite or cheap 1/4" ply (all ripped to thin strips) as stickers. The wood is well seasoned.

I presume you're comfortable enough with the framing of your shop to be able to hold that new dead load you are introducing.

Todd

Todd, the building is constructed like a proverbial brick outhouse ...engineered joists and so forth. Exterior walls are concrete block. There is also a load bearing wall under the floor to the near end where the stairway is as well as my DC closet under a good part of the rest. No worries with weight bearing.

Many of my 1/4" stickers are hardboard or ply...I've been using them for years.
    --

Nice cherry(?) flitches, Jim... Whatcha gonna do with them?

Nice rack! (did I just say that to another man?)