Thread: Kreg K3 vs K4

Kreg K3 vs K4

I am just curious here. I have an early aluminum Kreg jig, used for thousands of holes. The only thing I did not like about it was drilling out panels, when you had to constantly reach over the top of the panel to reach the clamp, and move the workpiece. When the K3 came out with the front mounted control handle, I figured it was a great improvement, and bought one. I love it, and it solved the problem.

So.....why did the K4 model change back? Were there problems with the clamping system on the K3, or was it because they just needed to come out with something new?

Like I said, just curious. My K3 has been great, with no problems. BTW, I kept the aluminum one too.

Rick Potter

I seem to remember something about a patent dispute with Porter Cable over the lever-in-front design? There wasn't a lot of press about it, but I heard it mentioned and shortly after the design changed.

Do a google search for Park vs Cas Enterprises.

Cas, the parent company of Kreg was sued by Joon Park, after Joon Park saw one of the Kreg infomertials.

Cas (Kreg) settled and as part of the settlement quit making a number of jigs - the K3 being one of them.

Here is the case. This guy Joon Park sounds like a real piece of work. It's cases like this where people develop a hatred for trial lawyers and their money chasing. There was nothing here other than Park shaking down a company who basically paid him in the end to go away and end this. Similar things happen with lawyers going after businesses for non existent violations of the ADA rules. This stuff makes you sick.

http://www.businessrecord.com/main.a...rticleID=11093

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Michael View Post
    Here is the case. This guy Joon Park sounds like a real piece of work. It's cases like this where people develop a hatred for trial lawyers and their money chasing. There was nothing here other than Park shaking down a company who basically paid him in the end to go away and end this. Similar things happen with lawyers going after businesses for non existent violations of the ADA rules. This stuff makes you sick.

http://www.businessrecord.com/main.a...rticleID=11093
    Well, that story doesn't really explain why they stopped making the K3, then. In the end, Kreg won the lawsuit, and even PURCHASED the patent rights to avoid any appeal by Park, but they still stopped making the K3.

I Goggled "Joon Park" looks like this guy has be suing everyone. Even the National Park Service.

http://lawsuitstoday.com/search.php
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    I Goggled "Joon Park" looks like this guy has be suing everyone. Even the National Park Service.

http://lawsuitstoday.com/search.php
    You are mis-reading that, his only suits are regarding pocket holes.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

WOW,

Thanks guys, I had no idea Kreg had gone through all that to keep someone from stealing their intellectual property. That case was very interesting.

Sad. Mom and Pop business makes good, the American Dream, and somebody wants to profit by tearing them down.

Gotta go buy more Kreg screws.

Rick Potter

This is not a judgement just an observation, if one were to read an article written from the point of view of the plaintiff, opinions might be different. I don't feel like reading the full case record, mainly because IP cases tend to have LOTS of pre-trial motions and to get a clear picture you have to read them all; track down, read and understand all the cited law AND read between the lines. The the trial record is almost always as dull as watching paint dry. Just plain boring. It is a "hot" 7th ammendment issue regarding IP cases and jury trial and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the first causes of action to be heard by professional juries. IP cases are one of the few cases I wouldn't feel remotely comfortable sitting on a jury for, heck most legal scholars feel most of the judges that sit on non-jury IP cases are ill equipped to handle them.

In the end I am just glad I have a K3.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.