Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WARNING: Linseed oil and rags..

Yeah, otherwise you'd put your dinner in the fridge to cook it. Oil finishes like Tried and True that don't contain heavy metal dryers and who knows what else are much safer but, of course, take much longer to dry.

I just don't understand the thought of "banning" linseed oil from one's shop as a couple have expressed, to each their own I guess. Linseed oil is but one example of many things that have to be stored properly, used with care, and remnants disposed of properly. You just need to be aware of proper handling and possible dangers of not doing so. Most everything in woodworking shop is/can be hazardous if not used with proper precautions.

With that said, I don't charge batteries unattended.... or even leave chargers plugged in when not in use. Dishwasher, washing machine, or dryer running unattended? Nope.
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 05-31-2012 at 2:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Um....no.

The solution to misuse for adults isn't always "take it away" from everyone else.

I do like ken does with the rags, except i insted lay them out flat on cool concrete. They never even get a chance to get warm like that. I like BLO, Teak and Tung oil for different reasons. I wouldn't want to be without any of them.
    +1 on this... if you (or someone else) can't use it the right way..

You guys do realize you are +1 an imaginary post. Not a single person said to "ban" this finish from others.

Linseed oil is banned from my shop too. I don't like lousy finishes that are a fire hazard. But I'd never ban it from others.

Man, that's scary. If you ever get the answer, pls post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    "Heat of evaporation"? And here I thought evaporation was an endothermic process!

Seriously, I think BLO soaked rags in a pile ignite because of a feedback loop in which the oil oxidizes, creating heat, raising the temperature, accelerating the oxidation, creating more heat...

Let's be careful out there ... oily rags in a pile is a no-no!
    This might be the mechanism.

But it does happen with other materials, not just BLO/solvent based. This includes piles of coal (large piles mind you), compost piles, wet hay, etc. I would expect a pile of sawdust could be a problem as well, if allowed to get wet.

So there is some effect where heat is being generated (any decomposition of organic matter?). The pile itself insulates this to some degree which means the internal temp climbs.

Was just reminding that this isnt a risk that is ONLY associated with BLO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    You guys do realize you are +1 an imaginary post. Not a single person said to "ban" this finish from others.

Linseed oil is banned from my shop too. I don't like lousy finishes that are a fire hazard. But I'd never ban it from others.

Actually, his response is related to post #4, which, as worded, doesn't make the distinction of voluntary or involuntary. I think most understood what he meant, but he did simply say, "BAN THE BLO".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Actually, his response is related to post #4, which, as worded, doesn't make the distinction of voluntary or involuntary. I think most understood what he meant, but he did simply say, "BAN THE BLO".
    Thank you Kevin,.... I posted it because I am tired of the endless rants about BLO.

it was almost for sure the particle board substrate in the melamine sheets that caused the fireworks. When you cut it it sparks and that dropping into a dust bag could easily combust the sawdust. The duller the blade the more likely this is to occur, this can also happen with any saw, any time you get burn marks on the wood you are cutting there is a risk that you get a hot particle where it can ignite other material (had this happen at my miter saw station awhile back , because i had been doing alot of cutting and the dust had built up under the saw; now the saw sits over a hole i cut out under the saw to prevent the buildup and i pay alot better attention to whats going on with the sawdust when i am cutting ; fortunately i was paying attention when the dust started smoldering and a jug of water was handy so i sustained no damage to anything)

i imagine the dust collector has enough air flow that the hot particles cool off to safe levels before they get to the to the dust bag or in my case the chip box out back

Rockler Klean-Strip Boiled Linseed Oil MSDS - Flashpoint = 250 deg F
    RISK OF FIRE FROM SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION EXISTS WITH THIS PRODUCT.
    Oily rags, waste, and other oily materials can cause spontaneous combustion fires if not handled properly. Immediately after use, and before disposal or
    storage, you MUST (1) Spread out all oily materials outside to dry by flattening them out to their full size in an airy spot for 24 hours at temperatures above
    40 degrees F, or (2) Wash them thoroughly with water and detergent and rinse. Repeat until you have removed all oil from all clothes, tools, rags, paper,
    clothing, mops, and any other materials contacted during use or as a result of an accidental spill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Simple problem ... simpler solution ... BAN THE BLO ... I won't even allow the stuff in my shop for lots of reasons ... this is just one of them.
    What are the other reasons?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Rockler Klean-Strip Boiled Linseed Oil MSDS - Flashpoint = 250 deg F
    RISK OF FIRE FROM SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION EXISTS WITH THIS PRODUCT.
    Oily rags, waste, and other oily materials can cause spontaneous combustion fires if not handled properly. Immediately after use, and before disposal or
    storage, you MUST (1) Spread out all oily materials outside to dry by flattening them out to their full size in an airy spot for 24 hours at temperatures above
    40 degrees F, or (2) Wash them thoroughly with water and detergent and rinse. Repeat until you have removed all oil from all clothes, tools, rags, paper,
    clothing, mops, and any other materials contacted during use or as a result of an accidental spill.
    tossing oily rags into a washing machine, my washing got a warning about washing oily rags that might cause a fire