Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination machine question

Combination machine question

I know very little about the names of all the manufacturers of
    combination machines...in particular a planer/jointer. I do know
    of Rojek and Felder, but does anyone have any other recommendations???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Wallace
    I know very little about the names of all the manufacturers of
    combination machines...in particular a planer/jointer. I do know
    of Rojek and Felder, but does anyone have any other recommendations???

Thanks
    Some more names that you will want to investigate in no particular order are Mini-Max, Hammer (baby Felder), Laguna, Knapp (big bucks), Robland, Hitachi (this is probably completely different than what you are looking for). All of them have their good and bad points... In this board it seems that Mini-Max seems to get the most kudos, and there are quite a few folks that have what you are looking for a planer/Jointer combo. Good luck in your search
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I have a MiniMax CU300Smart. I like it, use it alot, would buy it again, and I can afford a Felder combo.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Jim Becker has one, reviewed it on his site. Here is a link.

http://sawsndust.com/index.shtm

I just ordered the more recent version, FS35, should arrive next week.

Mini-Max is well known for great customer service.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hi Hunter, In the 12" range of J/P's they are all good-Knapp, Felder, Hammer, MM, Robland, Rojek. Best bet is to take a look at the machines and see them run. I've had Felders for about 8 yrs. They are great machines.
    take care,
    John

I own some MM machines and have looked a their jointer/planer 16". It is almost $8,000 and their 16" jointer alone is about the same price(much big and heavey than the combo). If space is a concern the combo may suit your needs, but I just could never justify the money for those machines.

Richard

In addition to the brands Michael mentioned, Rikon is just introducing a small combo jointer/planer. It looks very much like the Inca machine which is no longer available. http://www.right-tool.com/rikrp10plan.html is a picture. I've heard that Woodcraft is selling these too. The good things about the Rikon are the compact size and the more-affordable price. The downside is that I don't know of anybody who's used and reviewed it.

I have owned a Rojek KPS 300 V for about 4 years. It is a very good machine and a great value. It is made in the Czeck Republic and many of the component parts are Italian. Tech support has been great when I have had a question about adjustments or operation (no real problems so far). Rojek does not have the volume of sales of some of the other machines but if you spec the machines the same and compare the price you will probably be interested.

All the machines mentioned previously are good or great compared to what most Americans are used to using, it usually comes down to a value proposition or the fact that a friend has one. Good luck, any way you go you will probably be happy.

john in Birmingham

markus shaffer Guest
    I've been using a couple Felder combo machines for year now.. I have a 20" jointer planer combo. Like John, I can say that Felder makes great machines. It takes some getting used to in terms of the changeover, but it happens in less than a minute. Forces you to think about your work a little more. But the accuracy is amazing. After having the Felder technician set up my machine, I have not had to adjust it any further. Snipe is a thing of the past from the planer. I added a power feeder to the jointer and the difference is amazing. I recently built a bar with a solid mahogany top. Literally cut the top to 19 1/2 inches wide. The power feeder pulled that board through with no problems. this was a huge board too. 12/4 and ten foot long. I'm not sure on other brands, but whatever you look at, be sure to get a power drive for the planer. When switching from the planer back to the jointer on the Felder, you have to lower the planer bed all the way down. Doing that with a hand crank every time is a real pain so I've heard.

I'll add a couple photos so you can get an idea of what one of these things looks like in a shop. Note that with the power feeder the machine has to sit away from the wall. Without the feeder bracket, you can have it pretty much right up against the wall. I would highly suggest adding a feeder. I can't imagine having to push anything like the abovementioned board through without help. Something else you should think about is dust collection. I have a cyclone in one corner of my shop. With this machine, I had to run two drops from the ceiling for each function. I have added a photo so you can get a sense of what I am talking about.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

-Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hunter,

Lots of good info here already. All I can add is that I got a tour of the MiniMax combo machine at their Austin site. I'm not sure if you are looking for a combo of planer/jointer only? I was looking at the MiniMax Smart that someone else has mentioned, but that is a TS, Pl,Jt,Shpr combo.

For that combination and if it's in a person's $$ range it was a beauty. Smooth sliding table, easy and fast change overs, and lots of neat features. Of course their site or a phone call will give you more details, and they have a video they'll send out.
    Ken Waag

I'm particularly fond of the Mini Max and Felder line-ups...I own Mini Max as it more than meets my needs and I really like the company. If I needed more bells and whistles (at a price, of course) I'd consider Felder, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing your budget, but all the major players have been mentioned already.

For a 1 man shop a combo J/P makes a lot of sense. It's pretty easy to adjust your work habits so the changeover is not a factor, the space savings are considerable and meaningful and with a combo you invariably get a much bigger jointer than if you were buying separates.

The best deal in J/P's has to be the Robland xsd310. For under $3k you get a 12" jointer and a 12" planer.
    The Rojek units, while a little lacking in jointer table length are also a good buy. For a reasonable price you could move up to a 16" combo with Rojek. While this may be more than you need for a jointer, the extra planer width will be much appreciated. Tech-Mark does a good job by most accounts.

Hammer is just coming out with a new 16" J/P and it looks like it will be worth checking out. Slightly longer tables and a new beefier fence. I would consider this before the MM personally.

I'm a Felder fan myself and am currently saving up for their 20" Dual 51 unit. It's very pricey but the quality is getting close to Martin territory. The so called "bells and whistles" on Felder machines are there for a reason; accuracy.

Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by markus shaffer
    I've been using a couple Felder combo machines for year now.. I have a 20" jointer planer combo. Like John, I can say that Felder makes great machines.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

-Markus
    Markus, you've got an awesome machine there!!! After using Felder machines at Kelly Mehler's School, I am convinced that their level of quality, ease of use, and accuracy justifies their price.

I don't know if I could ever afford a 20" combo, but if I ever won the lottery, can you give me a ballpark price on what that beast would cost? Are we talking ten grand, or twenty?

Hmmm....maybe I can make my 1991 Ford Ranger last forever, and just buy one of those instead of my next car! Not sure I could get that idea past the wife!

Congratulations on owning what I know must be a fine, fine machine.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Hmmm....maybe I can make my 1991 Ford Ranger last forever, and just buy one of those instead of my next car! Not sure I could get that idea past the wife!
    Martin, If you want to get the idea past your wife, just show her how much value the machine will have when you're gone. The Felder at 15 years may be worth more than you paid for it. The Ranger, well, we all know that story.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann
    Martin, If you want to get the idea past your wife, just show her how much value the machine will have when you're gone. The Felder at 15 years may be worth more than you paid for it. The Ranger, well, we all know that story.
    I think Martin should trade in his "hail-mobile" on the J/P combo...and keep the Ranger to haul wood to the tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...