Thread: Spraying Enduro Var

Spraying Enduro Var

I am using an Earlex 5000 and Enduro Var Gloss. We are spraying a high chair we made (hard maple) for our newest grandson. I am using a 1.5 needle set up. When I sprayed the tray, I put down a nice heavy coat, it self levels fine and I get a very smooth finish that is nice to touch and rub your hands over. On the chair itself, I cannot seem to get a finish that is really smooth to the touch. If I spray too heavy, the finish runs or sags. When it dries, the feel is a bit rough. We sand between every coat, 220 grit. We have 4 coats so far and still not smooth to the touch that I want.

I selected Enduro Var for it's durability, it's ambering effect, and I had it on hand. My wife did an intarsia on the back, (pictures will be posted when complete). We used some white wood and did not want the ambering, so I used EM6000. Again it was a horizontal surface so no concern about runs or sags. It went on great and and feels nice and smooth.

In the future, I am thinking of using EM6000 as my go-to finish. And use de-waxe shellac when I want some ambering. Recoat time on EM6000 is 30 mins on Enduro Var it is 2-4 hours. My brief experience with EM6000 was very good.

Any feedback/hints/suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

John,

Ive used EM6000 a couple of times now and it has impressed me. It levels and burns in very nicely. I used it over Target's water based shellac which gave my project a nice amber tone. The combo has been a winner for me.

Jeff

I was thinking that DNA based shellac may be a good choice. Less grain raising? I like your idea Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    John,

Ive used EM6000 a couple of times now and it has impressed me. It levels and burns in very nicely. I used it over Target's water based shellac which gave my project a nice amber tone. The combo has been a winner for me.

Jeff
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I am setting up for spraying Enduro Var in satin on kitchen cabinet doors & drawers. I've got a Fuji Super 3 Gold system on its way with #2 (.7mm) and #3 (1mm) aircap sets. I asked them to trade out the #4 for the #3 because General Finishes recommends #2 for their dyes and #3 for Enduro Var.

According to Fuji's website:
    • #2 - For Artists, very fine work, small surfaces, touch up, shading. STAINS, THINNER, ZINC, SPRAYTAN SOLUTION. .7mm (0.25″) VERY FINE OUTPUT.
    • #3 - Most ‘fine-finishing’. WATER-BASED/BORNE LACQUERS, SEALERS, CELLULOSE, ACRYLICS, SYNTHETICS, POLYURETHANE, STAINS, VARNISH, GLITTER PAINTS, PRIMERS. 1mm (.039″) FINE TO MEDIUM OUTPUT.
    • #4 - Especially suitable for AUTOMOTIVE ENAMELS, NITROCELLULOSE LACQUERS, CATALYZED LACQUERS and LATEX (EMULSION) where finer finish is required such as louver doors, trim, cabinets (see section above about Latex). Also good for VARNISHES and OIL-BASED PAINTS, POLYURETHANES, ETC. 1.4mm (.055″) MEDIUM OUTPUT.
    • #5 - Larger surfaces, thick layers, spotted effects. SEALERS, VARNISH, POLYURETHANE, OIL BASE PAINTS, ENAMELS, EPOXY, PLASTIC, ADHESIVES, FLOOR PAVING PAINTS, LATEX (on walls) SPLATTER PAINTS, MULTI-FLECK ETC. 1.8mm (.070″) MEDIUM OUTPUT.
    • #6 - Very heavy flows, fast coverage. STONE FINISH PAINTS, TEXTURE COATING, INDUSTRIAL PRIMERS, LATEX (on walls, ceilings), EMULSION ETC. 2.2mm (.086″) MEDIUM OUTPUT.

So both finish manufacturer and HVLP manufacturer recommend the 1mm nozzle. FWIW...

BTW, I've been testing different dye combinations (Transtint) and finishing them with Enduro Var using a foam brush. So far I'm very impressed with the product.

I'm a bit perplexed. I have an Earlex 5000 and use Enduro all the time (although usually it is either satin or semi-gloss) with a 1.5mm nozzle. I've not experienced the problem you are describing. Perhaps you are getting some ambient contamination from the air. Actually though, I think, from the way you are describing your technique, that you are laying down too heavy of a coat. A thicker coat takes longer to dry and is a magnet for dust particles. Try setting the dial for slightly less material, spray on a light coat, sand with 220, spray on a second, sand with 320 or 0000 steel wool, then spray on a final coat. Oh, and with light coats, I never wait more than 90 minutes to sand out. I've used both Enduro and EM6000. I have to say, I like the look and feel of the enduro better. Plus GF's people are amazing. In fact, why don't you give them a call and tell them about your problem and see what they say. They're super knowledgable and very helpful. Phone: 800-783-6050. Just let me know what they say.

Oh, by the way, I spray shellac the time too; of course I also brush and wipe it on as the project calls for. I absolutely love the stuff. I mix my own using BT&C Tiger Flakes (when they actually have them, they've been out for a while now due to the poor harvest last season) and everclear. The guy at the liquor store probably thinks I throw lots of wild parties...
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty