Thread: More bandsaw move: in crate or out?

More bandsaw move: in crate or out?

This is a continuation of the other thread, wasn't sure if anyone would be looking back for more questions. Would it be best to uncrate the saw at the freight terminal for the move, or leave it in the crate until it's in the basement or at least at the stairs?

We used an appliance dolly for the table saw, had a beefy friend at the top, and his son and I (non-beefy) supporting it from the bottom. It was all my friend on the top could do to hold it, as his leverage was practically nill on the stairs

I was thinking of going without the dolly this time, using a piece of plywood fastened to the stairs as a slide. That way the man on top could exert more pull to slow it's descent. Could also maybe rig a chain hoist or block and tackle as well on top to help lower. Hopefully we will have four guys to do it this time.

I guess the main question is whether to leave it in the crate or uncrate it at the terminal. Will the crate fit in a small Toyota pickup with a canopy? I could remove the canopy without much difficulty if need be.

Any further comments or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Needless to say, I am not accustomed to dealing with such large items.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan
    Were it mine, I would uncrate it at the house. Might as well have the protection while being driven. But the crate will add some weight to the move downstairs, as well as a bit of bulk, neither of which is needed.
    Good luck! You will love a baqndsaw of this quality. It will let you do things with a bandsaw that is just not possible with a smaller and less accurate one.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

If I remember correctly the crate on my mm20 was only made of a base and a couple of uprights, to call it a crate is a reach. Not sure it will make any difference in your truck, but bring tools, because while there wasn't much of a crate, it was but together well. It was also rapped in heavy ploy scrink wrap for protection. I would remove the crate before moving downstairs.

Richard

Dan, I removed the crate from my MM16 in my garage. After removing the crate, I was able to remove the protective cosmoline coating, and then remove the motor and table to reduce the weight as much as I could. I strapped the saw to an appliance dollie, and then had 2 friends help control it's descent down the stairs. You are correct about the person at the top under the dollie, they get quite a workout! We had a 2x4 that we could jam under the saw on top of a stair tread to stop it if it got out of control, and the 2 guys at the bottom of the saw need to support the weight as it comes down. All-in-all, my saw came down in a very controlled manner (although my friend Scott's arms are now 2 1/2" longer from holding the top! ).
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Dan,
    If it is truly in a crate I would wait until you get home. But like the others said, it probably won't be much more than a pallet and a couple of uprights. Either way, it won't hurt to keep whatever protection there is intact until you get home. Its always easier to secure an item that is flat or square as opposed to some irregular same.

I Agree with Frank , leave it crated until you get it home or to the shop. If you have to navagate stairs you have to ask youself if the stairs can take the weight, last month I took delevery of my new planner Jet 16" . This things weight was 520 lbs crated. now the stairs could take that but, 4 guys averaging 200 lbs and planner crated at 520lbs = 1320 lbs . Decieded to uncrate and remove the motor . now using three guys and a tow strap wrapped around two of the posts we were able to muscle this monster down the stairs . Biggest thing is just make sure that you have some way to stop the decent if things go wrong so noone gets injured.

Dan, I would uncrate it at the top of the stairs. The crate on my MM16 was nothing to brag about and I think the extra bulk and weight of the crate wouldn’t aid you any. A board to slide it down on and a couple of men on either end is all you need.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think Bruce is correct. The crate is flimsey and will not add much to protecting the saw. The pallet is just a little better.

I don't know that I would use a peice of plywood to slide the saw down. You aren't going to be able to walk on it, I just don't know how it could work. Also, if the saw got to going it would be going all the way to the bottom.

A tall appliance dolly and 4 guys will be able to handle this just fine.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"