Thread: Sharpening!

Sharpening!

After seeing another thread where a lot of your favorite tools are the Wolverine, I wonder if anyone else here uses a JoolTool? I absolutely love mine and use it all the time for turning tools or non turning tools. I rarely use my Wolverine any more since the Jool takes off much less metal and can get down to honing if needed. Can sharpen pretty much every tool with it. Am I alone on this one? Maybe haven't tried one? Looks like a girley tool but is a real workhorse around my house. Just need good lighting above it.

How is it used on turning tools? Isn't it a hand-held grinder?

I have seen it demonstrated, but haven't tried it. The 'see through' wheel would make it great for free hand sharpening. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work fine.

robo hippy

Allen, i looked it up on amazon, not cheap. could you detail how you use it and any do's and don'ts. is there a cheaper version or if you only need part of it to do turning tools.

Woodcraft on FM1960 had a ton of the JoolTool discs in the clearance bucket when I was there last Saturday. I think it was 50% off. I know its a bit far from Nederland, but if you happen to be in Houston for some other reason.....might save you a few bucks ..

Thanks Don, I'll look next time I go. That is only downside to them is the disks are not as available as I like and pricey but they last a very long time. I can sharpen bowl gouges and my Ellsworth Signature. very easily and razer sharp in a few seconds. I like that no special set up is needed to sharpen most anything to a super sharp tool. Even my lawn mower blades come out very sharp. I also have the worksharp but no where close to ability to sharpen what the Jool does and no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Just love my tool and don't see many others say they use one. They are pricey but with not grinding away high dollar tools, and ease of sharpening, I got my moneys worth. With diamond disks also, I sharpen router bits, shaper bits, drill bits or other carbide tools. They have some good videos on YouTube also. I believe it was originally a gem stone tool but moved to sharpening tools quickly afterwards. First time I saw it, I thought a cheap plastic tool but watching the demonstration in a Houston Woodshow and getting to try it out, I fell in love with it. I have had mine about 5 years and use it constantly on my wood tools and any other tools or knives, axe, most anything. Woodcraft used to sell them but guess people just were afraid to purchase one due to price and unsure how well it works with no real demonstration of it's abilities.
    Last edited by Allen stagg; 06-02-2012 at 8:46 PM.

I have a JoolTool and like it very much. My wife does most of her sharpening on it. I have a few sharpening setups, and use either a grinder with an 8" wheel and a wolverine, the JoolTool, and a 2x72" Bader III belt grinder with a Nova Sharp Center. Depends on my mood <s>

The JoolTool is especially versatile... I like using the 3M brush wheels for polishing the inside of gouge flutes.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 06-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs